qBittorrent won't start on Windows XP

Windows specific questions, problems.
Dreadder

qBittorrent won't start on Windows XP

Post by Dreadder »

I've tried searching for my problem through other similar topics but I can't seem to find the solution, so I decided to open my own topic about it - I apologise if I somehow managed to miss already posted solution.

I've installed the latest qBittorrent version 4.0.4 on my Windows XP for the first time, since I used uTorrent before and the installation seem to complete normally but when I try to start the program nothing happens - I don't even get an instance of qBittorrent showing in task manager. The first time I try to start the program I get the notification that qBittorrent is a file sharing program and that I have to agree to using it but afterwards nothing... Nothing happens when I try using magnet links/downloading. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling and of course rebooting the system inbetween installations but so far nothing seemed to work and no, the program isn't just minimised in my system tray. :) So, any idea what might be going on in my case?
Switeck

Re: qBittorrent won't start on Windows XP

Post by Switeck »

Of the many problems I have running qBT v3.3.16 to v4.0.4 on my Win XP PRO SP3 computers, that's not one of them.

Antivirus/antimalware software may be blocking or windows permissions. (running as an admin on allowed drives?)
coolio2013

Post by coolio2013 »

That is really weird.
Did you install python? Not sure if qbt won't start without it, but you'd see a message if the version isn't right.
Which antivirus are you using?
Did you change the path for the installation?

For a beginning, look for the LOG of qbt, and perhaps of your antivirus.
Logging of qbt is disabled by default, you may have to enable it in
%appdata%\qBittorrent\qBittorrent.ini
at several locations, e.g.:
[GUI]
Log\Enabled=true

LOG is saved in C:\Docúments and Settings\{user}\Local Settings\Appdata\qBittorrent\logs\qbittorrent.log.

If all fails, run SysInternals ProcessMonitor to see if it starts at all, or if your antivirus is killing it without notice.
Dreadder

Post by Dreadder »

Thanks for your replies. I didn't have Python installed so I tried installing the 2.7 version if that might change anything but unfortunately it didn't. As for the installation path, I haven't changed it, so it's still the default Program files\Qbittorent folder.
I followed your advice regarding enabling the log feature and I was surprised to see qBittorrent.ini practically empty. The only thing in it was that I confirmed my agreement to using qBittorrent. Anyhow, according to the log, qBittorrent starts every time I try to run it and that's all there is in the log file.
I use Avast antivirus and I tried disabling antivirus shields and added qBittorrent to exceptions and still no dice. I also tried using Process Monitor but I must admit that I haven't used it before, so I didn't really know what exactly to look for - but according to it, the qBittorrent.exe starts normally, does a bunch of ''stuff'' and then closes down.
I'll probably try installing an older version of qBittorrent but I'm afraid I'll probably have to keep using Deluge in future, since that one seems to work normally though I'm not to fond of it...

EDIT: Ok, I am an idiot. I though I was running the qBittorrent as an admin but it seems that was not the case, since it opened when I manually ran it as an admin... Hopefully that was the only problem and there will be smooth sailing from now on. Thanks again for the help.
Last edited by Dreadder on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I added (running as an admin on allowed drives?) because those are common problems.

Not like Windows is explicitly clear when it's not running apps in admin mode, other than the apps not working.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Maybe its time to upgrade to something new instead using outdated and unsupported OS.
Dreadder

Post by Dreadder »

Well, I'm afraid it takes an outdated OS to run on outdated laptop.  ;D
I could get by with installing newer OS but the performance (such as it is) would definitely suffer and since I'm planning to change this particular laptop with a new one soon anyhow, I just don't feel like bothering. Though truth be told, I always preferred XP over newer versions but that may just be due to me being a dinosaur.

Anyhow, sorry for bothering you and making a rookie mistake. My face still hurts from the facepalm I made when I realized what the problem was.