Random Questions/Stuck Files/Tutorials/Seeders etc.

Windows specific questions, problems.
Vectraat

Random Questions/Stuck Files/Tutorials/Seeders etc.

Post by Vectraat »

New here and I just started using qBittorrent recently. Is there a good in-depth qBittorrent tutorial or a Bittorrent tutorial covering software features? I've already browsed through the github Wiki but unless I missed it, I didn't see everything explained that I wanted to know.

So, I suppose I'll ask my questions here...

1.) Sometimes I notice that torrents stop downloading when they're very close to completion. Example: 98% or 99.1% etc.
There does seem to be seeders (according to the web page), but the download is stuck. In cases such as this, what should you do? Sometimes, but VERY rarely I'll see a "stalled" status, but most of the time nothing at all, my DL stops.

2.) What does "force resume" do?

3.) What does "force recheck" do?

4.) If I download something and It's not 100%. If say It's 98-99%, will there be some sort of issue with the file afterwards?

5.) Perhaps I'm misinterpreting how this works, but what's more reliable... The number of seeders shown on an indexing site, or the seeders shown in qBittorrent? I'm not sure what this means actually..

Example: In qBittorrent I'll see 0 (5) seeders. This means there are 5 people seeding? What is the "0" for then?

6.) Why is it that some torrents will start off downloading incredibly fast then when I'm 1/4 of the way complete or nearly complete, the DL speed goes so much slower? I notice this a lot... Are people just all of a sudden restricting their upload?

Thanks.
Madoka

Re: Random Questions/Stuck Files/Tutorials/Seeders etc.

Post by Madoka »

I'm no expert, but I'll give this a go.

1. As you are getting close to finishing your torrent, you have fewer connected peers that have the 1 or 2 pieces you need. Certainly any connected seed will have it, but a peer with only 22% may not have your desired piece(s). Just leave it and it'll complete (assuming availability of at least 1).

2. Force resume overrides the seeding options (seed to x hours or y ratio). I have qB default to seed to 1.00 ratio. On private trackers I will Force Resume to make it seed, especially if it's a featured torrent with 2x upload. Force resume will also override your queueing options. So say I have 2 active downloads and that's my limit in my options, and then a show I really want shows up. Normally it'll be queued until my 2 active downloads are done. I can force this third torrent to start.

3. It rechecks the downloaded files to make sure all pieces are complete and correct. Do this if you suspect your file(s) has an error.

4. Your file is incomplete. If a video file, it may play fine for most of the show, but at one point it WILL get all pixelated. If a text file, you will get some garbage in it. Think of it as a book. If you only have 98% of the pages, then you can't really finish your book.

5. 0 (5) under seeds means that you are connected to 0 seeds in a swarm containing 5 seeds. The numbers on the tracker are always more accurate. For some reason that I don't understand, both uT and qB will list peers that don't exist on the tracker. I'll see 0 (23) when the tracker lists 0 peers for example.

6. It depends on the torrent. It can be that there are no or few seeds and/or they are slow seeds. Then every peer basically has the same pieces as the faster peers will share those to the swarm quickly. So if every peer has 52%, then I will get those 52% really fast. Once I catch up, then my speed will tank as we are all waiting for the seeds to drip the pieces to us. Sometimes you are connect to one really fast seed or peer so he's accounting for the majority of your speed. He finishes and then leaves the swarm, and your speed will drop if the rest of your connected seeds/peers are slow.
Last edited by Madoka on Fri May 18, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vectraat

Re: Random Questions/Stuck Files/Tutorials/Seeders etc.

Post by Vectraat »

Ok, thanks for the response.

2.) So "Force resume" only overrides your own seeding preferences? I never set any seeding preferences when I installed the program. Not sure what the default would be. So, as long as you have force resume enabled, qB will continue to override your seeding preferences?

3.) How would you "suspect your file(s) to have errors" ? I mean, if the download is 100% is it necessary to use "force recheck" ? In what situation would you run force recheck?

4.) Ok, so if you're downloading a video file and It won't complete, just chuck it and find a new download? Or is there something I can do to try and make it complete? 

5.) Hmm, don't understand this explanation. Like for example: I'm currently downloading something that says: 0 (16) under seeds. If I wasn't connected to anyone, how am I downloading the file? Also, I've always been a bit confused by the term "tracker" is tracker just another way of saying indexing site/search engine?

I also don't get what "Peers" are even though I've read about it. Currently I'm seeing 9 (13) Peers.
So the difference between Peers and Seeds is what?