Options for optimizing download speeds (In general)

Windows specific questions, problems.
Defeft

Options for optimizing download speeds (In general)

Post by Defeft »

I know getting fast download speeds on torrents depends on each torrent itself and my internet settings, but what options should I always have on for optimizing download speeds in general?

I have been searching for ways and so far, changing "alternative rate limits" to "global rate limits" and limiting upload speed has worked. I have also seen suggestions such as unchecking "enable bandwidth management (UTP)" https://imgur.com/a/362YPkX but I don't have that option.

Here is what I have checked and it's mostly default options. https://imgur.com/a/U2g8UNv

Also, Is there also a copy-paste I can use for adding trackers? I remember pasting something in bulk into the trackers section when I used utorrent a few years ago. Anyways, suggestions are appreciated.
Last edited by Defeft on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madoka

Re: Options for optimizing download speeds (In general)

Post by Madoka »

In the trackers tab, right-click and select "Add a new tracker...". Then you can paste like in uTorrent.

What's your internet connection capable of in terms of speed? I'm not an expert in speed, but my current settings have maxed out my download on well populated torrents. I uncheck "Use UPnP..." and forward the port in my router. My rate and connection limits are different and tailored to my line. I'm not sure they would help you. In advanced settings, I disable "Enable OS Cache". I set "Disk cache" at -1 (auto) and "Cache expiry interval" at 600s.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Adding 100+ trackers can slow the download and upload speeds and add to the load on lots of trackers.
Find 2-10 trackers that work, ditch the rest.
Trackers are supposed to be organized in tracker tiers -- so only 1 tracker is used if there's 2+ tracker URLs to the same tracker, but qBitTorrent doesn't support that very well yet.

Downloading at 10000 KB/sec (~10 MB/sec) needs about 200-1000 KB/sec upload speed (2-10% as much) just to run smoothly due to networking+protocol overheads. This is even assuming the torrents you're downloading has lots of seeds and no other peers. Attempting to upload to other peers at the same time may reduce download speeds with so little upload allowed relative download.

On torrents with few seeds but lots of peers, uploading to other peers can be very beneficial -- peers rather than seeds will be where you get most of your download speeds from! (But only if you're uploading to them!)
Both cases (with and without lots of peers on torrents you're downloading) doesn't consider if you're seeding other torrents with lots of peers.

The screenshots show no upload slot limit, so the more torrents (with peers) that are active, the thinner you're spreading your upload speed. 100 peers alone on 1 torrent would split the upload 100 ways.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Thank you! Learned something new today.  :)