UDP trackers not working (again?)

Windows specific questions, problems.
sucht

UDP trackers not working (again?)

Post by sucht »

newest qBittorrent 4.1.1 they are not working :/

i knew the problem so i installed my old qBittorrent 3.3.4, because this was a version i never had any problem when it came to this problem.
and yes, udp trackers are again working in this version(3.3.4).
but if i go back to 4.1.1 with the same torrents, udp trackers are no longer working :(

anyone else with this problem? or am i alone with this?

ciao
Madoka

Re: UDP trackers not working (again?)

Post by Madoka »

I'm on 4.1.1, and udp trackers are working for me.
djm76

Post by djm76 »

I am extremely new to this stuff so i have absolutely no clue what trackers are, but if someone has a link to a site describing the usefulness of trackers, I would appreciate it.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

A tracker is a web server that doesn't have the torrent contents themselves, but gives out ip lists of peers+seeds on torrents.
Peers+seeds do regular tracker updates (often at 30 minute intervals) to get ips of more peers+seeds to connect to. This is a brief connection lasting perhaps as little as a second and probably <5 KB is sent/received.

Regular/older-style trackers use TCP connections.
UDP trackers use UDP connections. More of these can be run at once by a single web server than TCP trackers, but even still Tracker servers are being overloaded, crashing, and even going offline forever because they can't afford the bandwidth costs to run trackers anymore.

Peers+seeds can find each other without using trackers -- through DHT (which uses UDP packets as well), Peer Exchange (which has already-connected peers+seeds give you updated lists of working peers+seeds they are connected/were connected to about every 5-100 minutes), Local Seed/Peer Discovery (uses multicast, looks through your local LAN and closest parts of your ISP for other peers+seeds).
It is also possible to manually add a peer's ip address plus port number -- like 10.0.0.5:35000 for a peer on the same 10.0.0.x LAN as yourself running their BitTorrent client on port 35000.
djm76

Post by djm76 »

Sorry on the late reply, wasn't busy or anything, I had completely forgot I posted this lol. Thanks for the explanation, is there a site with trackers listed or an easy way to find them?
ok i didn't see a thumbs up button, but found the applaud link lol.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Adding the wrong trackers is worse-than-worthless, since nobody else would be using them to find you!
If the torrent doesn't come with working trackers and it's a public torrent, then your absolute best bet is working DHT+PEX+LSD (all mentioned above in my earlier post).

Generally, if you add trackers and they only report you as a seed or peer on them...remove them, since nobody else is using them.
Certainly don't add 100's of trackers, as that doesn't help anyone.
djm76

Post by djm76 »

[quote="Switeck"]
Adding the wrong trackers is worse-than-worthless, since nobody else would be using them to find you!
If the torrent doesn't come with working trackers and it's a public torrent, then your absolute best bet is working DHT+PEX+LSD (all mentioned above in my earlier post).

Generally, if you add trackers and they only report you as a seed or peer on them...remove them, since nobody else is using them.
Certainly don't add 100's of trackers, as that doesn't help anyone.
[/quote]

Thanks, I think when i first starting using the program, I had found an article saying to "require encryption" instead of "prefer encryption", the worst part is that it seems as if most of the torrents are garbage and had hundreds or thousands seeding them, the 1 or 2 good ones maybe have a 2-5 people seeding.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

A torrent shared by 2 seeds is likely to be even slower if there's no peers left on it.
Better to see a few peers on it as well as 2 seeds, so the seeds are more willing to stick around to meet the current demand instead of potential future demand.