Many I/O errors, why?

Windows specific questions, problems.
KaosEngineer

Many I/O errors, why?

Post by KaosEngineer »

One specific torrent gives I/O errors when uploading to peers ramps up:

8/4/2018 4:10 AM - An I/O error occurred, '<67 character long torrent name>' paused.
<same long torrent name here> read (S:\<same long name subfolder>\<same long filename>.mkv) error: An unexpected network error occurred

Repeat over and over every time the file upload starts to the peers.

S:\ is a network mapped drive. The listed error is not very specific as to what unexpected network error occurred.

I've also seen the log entry for another file with I/O errors with the specific error: the specified name is no longer accessible

I do have the torrent data saves on mapped network share drives.

OS: Windows 10 Pro 32-bit Version 1803 (Build 17134.165) The old laptop I'm running qBittorrent on can only access 3GB's of RAM
[Physical Memory: 2.1GB and System Commit: 2.6GB displayed by SysInternals Process Explorer - procexp.exe]

qBittorrent: v4.1.1
[Process Private Bytes: 179,776KB / Working Set: 178,964KB ]

Argh, so many errors.  Need a bit more info as to what caused the error.

Main Question for forum

Is there a way to get a more detailed description of an error's cause available?

Update: Posting on github for BUG report.
Last edited by KaosEngineer on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_EE

Re: Many I/O errors, why?

Post by Mike_EE »

There are already many reports of I/O errors and a fix is being tested for the next release.
Henry63

Post by Henry63 »

Out of the box, I don't think Windows supports path names longer than 256 chars. If the mapped drive is pointing to a path on a remote machine where the remote machine would attempt to create a path longer than 256 chars, it'll probably fail.
Adsixnine

Post by Adsixnine »

what ???  ???
KaosEngineer

Post by KaosEngineer »

[quote="Henry63"]
Out of the box, I don't think Windows supports path names longer than 256 chars. If the mapped drive is pointing to a path on a remote machine where the remote machine would attempt to create a path longer than 256 chars, it'll probably fail.
[/quote]The file that kept giving I/O errors is very not but I don't think it was longer than 256 characters.  It all depends how the path is processed:

S:\<67 characters>\<67 characters>.mkv => length 8 + 67 + 67 = 142

In the qbittorrent.exe list of Process Handles,  I do see at times that file's handle with a slightly different interpretation of the full path name to the file.

\Device\Mup\<12 character machine name>\s\<67 characters>\<67 characters>.mkv

However, this too is not anywhere near 256 or 260 character MAX_PATH limit.  The new string adds only 24 characters to the previous path_name length.

[quote="Adsixnine"]what  ??? ???[/quote]

Yes, after all this time even Windows 10, actually the Windows API, still has a MAX_PATH limit of 260 characters.

I've also seen sites stating that this limitation has been removed since the release of the Anniversary Edition (Fall 2016 release, Version 1607) of Windows 10. However, it does require modifying a registry key value or domain group policy to enable Win32 Long Paths.  (My system does not have the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem LongPathsEnabled key set to 1 thus the MAX_PATH limit of 260 characters still applies.)

See: https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/

Note: If it matters, my mapped storage (S:) drive is hosted on a computer running a 64-bit release of Windows 7 Professional SP1 OS while qbittorrent.exe is running on a computer with a 32-bit release of Windows 10 Pro OS Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165) loaded.
Last edited by KaosEngineer on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.