Regular crashes in 4.1.4

Windows specific questions, problems.
saywhat

Regular crashes in 4.1.4

Post by saywhat »

OS Win7

Getting crashes, about two a day, in 4.1.4 and also was the same in the previous version whatever that was. Never had crashes before of any sort. Not doing anything with Qbittorrent when it crashes as it is running in the background while I'm working on other stuff. Qbittorrent window goes all white and I get the Windows crash report as follows:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: qbittorrent.exe
  Application Version: 4.1.4.0
  Application Timestamp: 5bf5ae83
  Fault Module Name: qbittorrent.exe
  Fault Module Version: 4.1.4.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5bf5ae83
  Exception Code: c00000fd
  Exception Offset: 000000000012246e
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: e7b1
  Additional Information 2: e7b1ac266b66f808e0dd08e04a4eeefe
  Additional Information 3: be85
  Additional Information 4: be85b69551f4c788771d73128e6aa070
Last edited by saywhat on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Re: Regular crashes in 4.1.4

Post by Switeck »

1.Lots of torrents in qBT?

2.Many torrents recently added?

3.Torrents stored on an external HDD that may not be active when qBT tries to access it?

4.Using a VPN or proxy?

5.qBT's cache set too large? (32bit crashes if set over ~1000 MB)
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

[quote="Switeck"]
1.Lots of torrents in qBT?

2.Many torrents recently added?

3.Torrents stored on an external HDD that may not be active when qBT tries to access it?

4.Using a VPN or proxy?

5.qBT's cache set too large? (32bit crashes if set over ~1000 MB)
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply...

1. There was 267, now 200 so I've lost some in the crash...thanks Qbittorrent...gigs of downloads gone!

2. Not really I add about 40 each week but others get removed so it stays sort of static (in total torrent numbers)

3. Yes, been there done that, but not this time.

4. Yes a VPN.

5. I'm on 64 bit win 7

However, I am doing nothing different than I've beeen doing for a couple of years. The only difference is the latest and previous versions of Qbittorrent I've been using which is when the crashes started.
Last edited by saywhat on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coolio2013

Post by coolio2013 »

4.1.4 also for me is really bad, nearly unusable. It crashes out of the blue sky, more often than 4.1.3 (which also crashed often, but not that frequently). Nearly thought I'm the only one... but there are no more reports on github (crash info can't be read and is white usually, so I can't help).

It does not matter if rechecking is running or not (uses a LOT of mem). 1.2G of mem seems to be a threshold, above and it will crash for sure (I'm using Win 32bit).
Also annoying after a new start: 4.1.4 does not remember states: previously paused will be rechecked. And 'downloading metadata' will get state paused.
Date for 'Added' is wrong, this may is set to the date if paused/downloading metadata...

If there is no fix for the crashes, I may have to dispose off qbt, because this is one of the last versions I could use.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

If there's any really big torrents or at least torrents that have 1000+ files, that may be a contributing factor in the crashes.

I'm really not sure what's causing the crash unless 32bit version of qBT is trying to use over 2 GB virtual memory. Memory used according to windows can be less than that by a considerable bit (like 1.7 GB but not likely at 1.2 GB) and still trigger the 2 GB virtual memory limit. Unlike Deluge, qBT 32bit can't use 3 GB virtual memory even on 64bit OSes.

If qBT "lost" torrents, check to see if their contents are still on your HDD/s. They may be downloaded, qBT just "forgot" it downloaded them.

The VPN/proxy question is just trying to narrow down causes of the crashes.

It may be possible to "salvage" a white/blank crash window by taking a screenshot and pasting it into Microsoft Paint. (or similar app)
JDnHuntsvilleAL

Post by JDnHuntsvilleAL »

Just to put in my 2 cents: I tried twice to upgrade from qBit 4.1.3 64bit to 4.1.4 64bit. 4.1.3 was stable; 4.1.4 kept closing on me after just 5-10 seconds after opening it. I uninstalled it, downloaded and installed the 4.1.4 32bit version. So far so good. I'll have to wait and see if this 32 bit shuts down on me, but for sure the 64 bit isn't working.

I'm on a 6 year old ASUS laptop with two 1TB SSDs running Windows 10 64bit.
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

I had a look at my cache and it's set to 64MiB but as I said I'm using the 64 bit version of Qbittorrent and also I haven't changed any settings since I installed it over two years ago so I don't think it's going to be a settings issue. I really think there's a bug in 4.1.4 and probably 4.1.3 too. Do the Qbittorrent programmers read this?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Some of the forum helpers pass info along to the qBT devs.
The devs mostly read qBitTorrent's github issues forum instead, where bug reports are supposed to be sent.

These forums are more for troubleshooting and general help.

I agree there's bugs in qBitTorrent v4.1.3 and v4.1.4, a couple at least can cause crashes.
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

Hmmm...I thought about this a bit more and I can't entirely rule out that my external drive might be having problems because it has in the past. I don't think it's the case this time but really can't rule it out entirely. If it is the case then the devs need to make the handling of any fault condition related to an external drive much more robust than what it is at present. Failure to communicate with a drive should raise an error window and not cause a crash as it appears to (if this is indeed what's happening here).
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

Well, fingers crossed, since upgrading to 5.1.5 I've had no more crashes. Yaaay!