Best setting for a fresh install

Windows specific questions, problems.
JoLong

Best setting for a fresh install

Post by JoLong »

Hello, i recently got a new SSD, so i reinstalled Qbit and deleted all my previou config. can someone remember me what to put and what does what on "Asynchronous I/O Thread", how much on the Disk Cache and stuff like that? i'm trying to cap my gigabit connection, that's all!
JoLong

Re: Best setting for a fresh install

Post by JoLong »

UP!
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Set upload slots higher than default, otherwise your gigabit/sec (can it upload as fast as it downloads?) internet connection won't be uploading much at all.
1 upload slot per megabit/second (~100 KiB/s) of upload speed should be enough. (That's 1000 global upload slots and 50 upload slots per torrent, but you'll probably need to raise global max connections to at least 1000 to use all them.)

Almost everything else you can leave set to default values...some of which will work far better that way!
JoLong

Post by JoLong »

thank you for answering, i have a 1000/300 connection, i unckeched all the box under "connection" --> "connection limit". i've seen that setting 8 I/O thread instead of the default 4 let me use more disk speed, and keeping speed more high. and i use a 1024mb disk cache, the rest is default. did i miss something?
P.S: Merry Christmas !
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

So 300 mbit/sec upload...probably should use fewer upload slots than I suggested for 1 gbit/sec UL.
Try 300 global max upload slots instead and lower global max connections as well to 600-800 (800 if you have LOTS of really busy torrents, otherwise 600).
JoLong

Post by JoLong »

with 600-800 max connection, i can't go over 600mbps, so i leaved that unchecked. i'm gonna use the upload slot instead, should be useful.
what about the settings inside the advanced tab?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

If you're not getting over 75 MB/sec on busy torrents with lots of seeds+peers with 800 connections, then even 2000 connections likely won't help.
Is it the case that most/many connections are getting stuck in half open state due to a high half open limit (over 20)?

The advanced tab has a couple new settings I'm not familiar with so I don't want to give any recommendations on much of that.
Best to leave almost everything there to default values.
JoLong

Post by JoLong »

i tryed messing things around, and found that 800-300 global slot download/upload is capable of getting me the gigabit, like you said. using too much I/O Thread dosen't help, i'm keeping 8 at the moment, with a 1024MB cache, that helps my ssd, and disabling it doesn't improve speeds. using 10 half-open connection speeds up the process of reach full speed, so i'm keeping that too. i'm currently going around 650-750mbps, and suffering from micro-shuttering ( like the PC is still running, no crash, but i can't move my mouse ) when the speed touch 800+, probably becouse it's reaching the max bandwidth of my connection. i read the "documentation" for the option inside the "advanced" tab, but it's not that usefull.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

To see if it's not DL/UL speed alone causing the micro-stuttering of the PC:

1.Try disabling UPnP in qBitTorrent. It shouldn't be needed if you manually port forwarded your router and already set a firewall rule to allow qBT in any firewalls/antivirus apps.

2.Try increasing the delays between GUI refreshes in qBT's advanced settings. Even 5000-10000 ms (5-10 seconds) is ok if you're not wanting instant results.

3.Try disabling LSD (Local Seed Discovery) under BitTorrent settings. That uses multicast and possibly broadcast packets to find peers/seeds on the same LAN or ISP node as yours, which isn't necessary to do and often mis-flags "nearby" peers/seeds as local and they get to ignore speed limits unless you disable that too.

4.Try disabling DHT under BitTorrent settings. This can slow public torrents and make magnets almost unusable, but DHT doesn't work with private torrents anyway despite always running in the background if enabled.

5.Make sure to update to qBT v4.1.5 if you haven't already...and the next couple versions should help Disk I/O issues a little further. Last version of v4.1.x is likely to be the best of the series for awhile, with v4.2.0 needing some work to get new bugs out.
JoLong

Post by JoLong »

i totally disabled upnp, since i forwarded manually the port. i tryed and the freez still occour. i always kept enabled the DHT/LSD option, are they that bad? and the refresh seems to not do much on this problem.
P.S: i'm on the 4.1.5.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Test without DHT and LSD...if it's no better without, you've answered your own question. Usually, the problems with them is poor networking simply crashes leaving no internet connection at all.
CarlSmith

Post by CarlSmith »

qBittorrent stores its settings in ~/.config/qBittorrent, where ~ is your home directory. To clear the settings, you can remove or, better, rename that directory. You should expect that this will cause qBittorrent to forget all your current torrents, though the actual files in them will remain intact. I recommend making sure qBittorrent is not runnning before proceeding.

Since occasionally qBittorrent can remain running in the background after it seems like you've closed it, you can run this command to see if it is running, if you think it might be. It will output a process ID if it is, or nothing if it is not:

pgrep qbittorrent
To rename ~/.config/qBittorrent from the command line, run:

mv ~/.config/qBittorrent{,.old}
Or, if you prefer:

cd ~/.config
mv qBittorrent qBittorrent.old