QBittorrent & VPN "No direct connections"

Windows specific questions, problems.
chaoticbeliever

QBittorrent & VPN "No direct connections"

Post by chaoticbeliever »

Okay so I managed to get torrents to download by enabling DHT and removing the SOCKS5 proxy server but keeping all the other Mullvads' guide settings the same.
These two (DHT enabled & SOCKS5 removed) have to be set and not one or the other, so removing SOCKS5 proxy but keeping DHT disabled doesn't work etc.
I don't know if these are important or crucial so I thought I'd ask you as you seem to know a lot about this sort of thing. Will I still be anonymous while torrenting? Thanks for the help by the way much appreciated.
Switeck

Re: QBittorrent & VPN "No direct connections"

Post by Switeck »

[quote="chaoticbeliever"]Okay so I managed to get torrents to download by enabling DHT and removing the SOCKS5 proxy server but keeping all the other Mullvads' guide settings the same.
Will I still be anonymous while torrenting?[/quote]No, you won't be anonymous -- your ip address will be known to all who care to know.
You're not totally protected by a proxy either, if the proxy service is forced to give up your private information.
there

Post by there »

When using a VPN always disable alternate paths, because if you lose connection it could leave you unprotected. Once set, the pc remembers this setting. I have renamed my vpn connection windscribe to be obvious (https://imgur.com/Yqompml - if pic above is not visible)

use IKEv2 rather than openvpn, if possible

1 & 2 have to be set every time you start qbittorrent, or every time your change the vpn server, or your isp changes your connection, or the data rate drops, or the data rate becomes zero, check 2
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Probably a good idea to disable UPnP use in qBitTorrent as well, since that can possibly force unwanted alternate paths.