xxx.fastresume files

Windows specific questions, problems.
mjag

xxx.fastresume files

Post by mjag »

*pls note: just a quick one (hopefully lol!) - this is not a bug report/submission.

I have plenty of old/unused xxx.fastresume files in my BT_backup folder, and I simply just want to delete them all.
Prob is there are quite a few - and deleting them manually one by one would be insane and take forever.

1. is there a way/utility to mass delete old/unused or otherwise corrupted xxx.fastresume files?
2. is there a way/utility to see what the actual filename is for these 'hash-value'.fastresume files?  i'd like to know if i already have the file or not.

Thx all!

mj
mjag

Re: xxx.fastresume files

Post by mjag »

Does anyone have a thought or so about how to delete unused xxx.fastresume files?
I have about 300 of them.

Thx!
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I've read the "garbage" filenames used are actually the hash value of the torrent.
mjag

Post by mjag »

true that - yes indeed they are.

in fact, if we copy that hash value and paste it into say google search engine, it will tell you the name of the torrent file.

however, my issue is i have over 300 of these names that i do not need and have already downloaded....but they did not remove/delete themselves for some reason....so how can i delete all 300 at once?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I can't think of a way I'd describe as even remotely easy.

Maybe backup ALL the files, then inside qBitTorrent delete all the loaded .torrent files ...which hopefully deletes any in-use fastresume files.
Close qBT.
The only fastresume files that get left might be the ones qBitTorrent wasn't using.
Recover the backup of files into another folder...
I use doublekiller app (or something similar) to find duplicate files between qBT's settings folders and your backup copy and then carefully delete (or move) all the duplicates.
Then what you're left with in your recovered back files should be what qBT was using.
mjag

Post by mjag »

Thx Switeck - interesting idea!

will give a try & see how it goes.

8)
rumanzo
VIP
VIP

Post by rumanzo »

Most likely valid files are somehow used by qBittorrent.
First you can remove inconsistent pairs, for example, fastresume without torrent or torrent without fastresume.
Second you can decode each of the files, and if an error occurs, delete a pair torrent+fastresume.

And yes, you can read torrent name - it's field qBt-name in fastresume, if you set custom name, otherwise torrent["info"]["name"] in torrent file (you can use bencode editor for this)

I doubt that there is something written for this but you can always use python, ruby, golang, etc.
Last edited by rumanzo on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rumanzo
VIP
VIP

Post by rumanzo »

Also, may be you can find files that not accessed long time
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/scriptin ... -accessed/
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Even Windows Explorer can also show both file creation date and last modified date, sorted by either column either oldest-to-newest or vice-versa.
This wouldn't be as useful as last accessed via powershell, but better than nothing.