New to qBittorrent

Windows specific questions, problems.
VenusAndMars

New to qBittorrent

Post by VenusAndMars »

Hi,

as the Pirate Bay has scrapped the .torrent format in favor of magnet (for our convenience, of course) and since µTorrent charge for their magnet-enabled client (for their enrichment, of course) I am trying out qBittorrent.

µTorrent has the nice feature of letting you 'preview' the contents of the torrent (see screenshot). Does qBittorent also let me do this?

Thank you.

fszymanski

Re: New to qBittorrent

Post by fszymanski »

qBittorrent has also this feature. You just have to go to Options > Downloads > When adding a torrent and select Display torrent content and some options.
VenusAndMars

Post by VenusAndMars »

Thanks fszymanski, that's much appreciated :)
loki

Post by loki »

huh, you learn something new everyday... mine is set as such but it doesn't display info until after the torrent (magnet) has been added and fetches the peers.
Torrent files work as expected this way, but not magnet links.
VenusAndMars

Post by VenusAndMars »

[quote="loki"]
huh, you learn something new everyday... mine is set as such but it doesn't display info until after the torrent (magnet) has been added and fetches the peers.
Torrent files work as expected this way, but not magnet links.
[/quote]

Right. I couldn't get it to work either but didn't check out fszymanski's suggestion until I had replied and upped the karma/applauded. Too bad because I guess it looks to anyone asking the same question (and there are bound to bo others besides me now that PirateBay don't offer .torrent links anymore) as if it were solved.

I wonder if µTorrent had this functionality from the get-go? The more I think about it the more I doubt that it had.

But I can't get qBittorrent to work that way. Too bad because it's a good feature: does the torrent Im about to d/l contain what I want or just, say, 85% of it? As in the case of U.K releases of the Beatle's music as opposed to U.S.releases.

Like you say: you learn something new everyday. In my case: not to reply as if the issue were solved before you check out a tip to see if it woks for you. I promise it'll never happen again...(NOT!) ;D
fszymanski

Post by fszymanski »

Today I took a look at this dialog window (torrentadditiondlg.cpp file). If you add a Magnet URI the preview window always takes a simple form (torrent content is hide). A little different is with .torrent files. If the torrent has more than one file (if not simple preview) preview window shows the contents (like uTorrent) and allows you to select and deselect items.
Last edited by fszymanski on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Post by loki »

To original poster, best suggestion to solve the issue as to weather a torrent (or magnet in the case of pirate bay now...) has a particular file you're looking for or complete, the pirate bay site lists the files in everything, in every torrent, before you need to download anything even clicking the magnet link.
Just click the "files" link.
VenusAndMars

Post by VenusAndMars »

[quote="loki"]
To original poster, best suggestion to solve the issue as to weather a torrent (or magnet in the case of pirate bay now...) has a particular file you're looking for or complete, the pirate bay site lists the files in everything, in every torrent, before you need to download anything even clicking the magnet link.
Just click the "files" link.
[/quote]

Uh...no. That is not the best solution. See, the Save As dialog dialog shown here and in the o/p:

let's you exclude certain files (e.g. the silly, breast-beating adolescent .nfo and .txt files of crack teams: "greetz fly out to our side - death to the other tEamZz...", Romanian and Peruvian subtitles etc.) and keep you want - and only that.

That is the best solution. Apart from that your point is well taken loki.
loki

Post by loki »

I really think this is down to the limitations of what a magnet file is... or are you saying utorrent does have this feature for magnet links?

Another option, though obviously less elegant than what you get with full torrent files, you could add the magnet link and pause the torrent as soon as it fetches the filelist, select the ones you want/don't want at that point, then resume it... and before you say it... it will likely not have gotten the chance yet to download even a single piece of a file you didn't want, as long as you pause it just once the filelist is fetched... but also often times nfo or txt files are so small they are 100% included in a piece to a file you did want.

Or just be less picky, lol.
Last edited by loki on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
VenusAndMars

Post by VenusAndMars »

"I really think this is down to the limitations of what a magnet file is... or are you saying utorrent does have this feature for magnet links?"

Did I say that µTorrent has this feature for magnet links? I don't think I did and anyway the whole point of my original post was that the freeware version which I have installed (2.2.1, build 25110)  does not handle magnet links at all, 'preview' or no 'preview'.

"you could add the magnet link and pause the torrent as soon as it fetches the filelist, select the ones you want/don't want at that point, then resume it"

I suppose I could get used to that so I'll check out your suggestion - thank you loki. My PC experience goes back to 1985 when I started work as PC support person - before Arpanet evolved into the internet - sorry, before Al Gore invented it - and I have come to especially treasure open-source freeware software and will be goddamned before I pay for, e.g,. µTorrent Plus just to get the functionality I used to get with plain old µTorrent.

There is enough greed and avarice in banks and other businesses which I am unfortunately forced to deal with from day to day without the P2P and open source scenes going the same way.

That's when this old hippie says 'the fuck with that!' and begs off.

Your suggestion to let the client fetch the filelist, pause the d/l, and then decide wether to continue sounds like good sense so I think I'll go with that.
Last edited by VenusAndMars on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.