Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

alfrix

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by alfrix »

[quote="shiki"]
[quote="alfrix"]...[/quote]

Holy... that is a REALLY ugly theme.
Why don't you use a better-looking Qt Style? :-/

It's so ugly... :(
[/quote]

I know, i never say i liked it... that's why i'm trying to improve it, also that is from my ubuntu VM, i use qB on Windows...
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

What?
(below those are Linux / BSD specific steps, on Windows it's a bit more tricky to install new themes.)

1) search for widget engines from repository, find them on KDE-Look.
(<3 Skulpture)
2) install/compile them
3) ...
4) profit?

qt4-qtconfig or kde's systemsettings helps.
and of course icon themes as well.
Last edited by Peter on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfrix

Post by alfrix »

Don't get me wrong, that's from my Virtual-Machine, here is a sample from my tests, (didn't use it on windows yet)

i like the ubuntu style icons and the text on the toolbar buttons for example
Attachments
recorte.JPG
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Okay okay I still don't get the whole picture.
What's the problem then? :)
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

By the way, two cents about UI:

1. Dialogs with edit boxes (like rename torrent) can be improved. I propose stretching dialog window depending on edit box content length, because editing long names is rather painful at this time.
2. There's a bug in main view menu mechanics. Try right clicking on something, then wait until that item is moved in list (use active torrent filter, things constantly change there), then issue rename torrent. After rename is finished you will rename the torrent currently at position of previous torrent not the old one. In short: Getting torrent handles for single and multi selections should be done when you right click, not when you issue commands from menu.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="Dayman"]

1. Dialogs with edit boxes (like rename torrent) can be improved. I propose stretching dialog window depending on edit box content length, because editing long names is rather painful at this time.[/quote]

Yes, they feel ugly. Good idea on the stretching but we need to have an upper limit. An even better idea is to able to edit list items in place, right on the treeview column like other programs do.

[quote="Dayman"]2. There's a bug in main view menu mechanics. Try right clicking on something, then wait until that item is moved in list (use active torrent filter, things constantly change there), then issue rename torrent. After rename is finished you will rename the torrent currently at position of previous torrent not the old one. In short: Getting torrent handles for single and multi selections should be done when you right click, not when you issue commands from menu.
[/quote]

If the selection stays the same regardless of the active filter, it should edit the corrent item. It seems like the code doesn't use the "selection index" but the "current index". I think you should open bugs to keep track of these.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Anyway I'll start the suggestions for the list colors:

Paused: grey
Stalled: grey
Comleted: grey
Downloading: black
Uploading: black
Error: red
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
[quote="Dayman"]

1. Dialogs with edit boxes (like rename torrent) can be improved. I propose stretching dialog window depending on edit box content length, because editing long names is rather painful at this time.[/quote]

Yes, they feel ugly. Good idea on the stretching but we need to have an upper limit. An even better idea is to able to edit list items in place, right on the treeview column like other programs do.
[/quote]

No easy way though: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8633 ... n-a-qlabel

Upper limit might be screen_width/2
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Also guys I want your opinion on this pull request: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/pull/229
In that link I have posted 2 screens that show how qbt looks now and how it looks with the patch.
Also I played a little with CSS and this is what I came up with:

What do you think? I like the rounded corners but the aliasing on the border is horrible.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

Can this help anyhow? http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/lib ... tyles.html

P.S. Interesting. I checked the code of TransferListWidget::displayListMenu and we already do

Code: Select all

QModelIndexList selectedIndexes = selectionModel()->selectedRows();
and

foreach (const QModelIndex &index, selectedIndexes) {
    QString hash = getHashFromRow(mapToSource(index).row());
{
Last edited by Dayman on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Dayman"]
Can this help anyhow? http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/lib ... tyles.html[/quote]

Unfortunately, I am not that good with theming. So I better leave it to the "native" look.

[quote="Dayman"]
P.S. Interesting. I checked the code of TransferListWidget::displayListMenu and we already do

QModelIndexList selectedIndexes = selectionModel()->selectedRows();
and

foreach (const QModelIndex &index, selectedIndexes) {
    QString hash = getHashFromRow(mapToSource(index).row());
{
[/quote]

actionRename calls TransferListWidget::renameSelectedTorrent() where again it fetches the selectedrows. Although I am not sure how this happens, since I cannot reproduce it, while you have the context menu open on a selected torrent, the currently selected torrent changes before you click "rename..." and then renameSelectedTorrent() gets the new selected torrent instead. If this is actually the case, the only solution is to pass to renameSelectedTorrent() the row/index obtained in displayListMenu(). I'll leave it to you to test because I can't reproduce it.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

I guess I've added false reproduction steps, since I've hit the bug long time ago. Here're the proper info:

1. Let's say you're on the active torrent tab and are seeding 3 torrents:

torrent1
torrent2
torrent3
2. Right click on second torrent and issue rename.
3. Stay in rename dialog, put desired name there, but don't press ok.
4. Let's say torrent1 has now finished seeding (for whatever reason: peers DC, ratio limit is hit) and now you only have torrent2 and torrent3 in the list
5. Hit ok in rename dialog.

Expected output:

i_was_renaming_this
torrent3
Real output:

torrent2
i_was_renaming_this

[quote="Dayman"]
Can this help anyhow? http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/lib ... tyles.html[/quote]

Unfortunately, I am not that good with theming. So I better leave it to the "native" look.

[/quote]

Well, it has round buttons at least :P
alfrix

Post by alfrix »

Also guys I want your opinion on this pull request: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/pull/229
In that link I have posted 2 screens that show how qbt looks now and how it looks with the patch.
Also I played a little with CSS and this is what I came up with:

What do you think? I like the rounded corners but the aliasing on the border is horrible.
[/quote]

I really like that pull request, if you look at my screenshot on the previous post, you can see that i merged it on my repo...
IMHO merge it without modifications...
UsL

Post by UsL »

Anyway I'll start the suggestions for the list colors:

Paused: grey
Stalled: grey
Comleted: grey
Downloading: black
Uploading: black
Error: red
[/quote]

Please do not choose black icons. I am a black background user ( http://i.imgur.com/P0tZ7eL.png ) and I know I am not a lone being so and it would be really hard to see them among.. blackness..
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Then maybe, the best option is to allow the user to set them through the settings dialog...