Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

Calidude

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by Calidude »

[quote="Seedthis"]qBt looks better on Linux -> YES, but i wouldn't like qBt to look the same on Windows. It's exactly what some iOS developpers do when they port their apps to Android. They try to mimic iOS interfaces by using non standard stuff and the result in terms of performance is often bad (a good example is 1Password Reader on Android).
[/quote]
I'm not saying they should look the same. I'm saying the Windows client should look like it belongs on Windows but with the same level of polish as the Linux client has.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Since I was looking at UI today, I realized that it doesn't use the native widgets for all the controls. Eg it doesn't use the native progressbar for the torrent progress. I changed that in the code and here is how it looks:

I am not really sure that this is better or worse. I have mixed feelings. OS Windows XP. On Vista/7/8 it should use the native look too.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
I am not really sure that this is better or worse. I have mixed feelings.
[/quote]

I don't like it at all.

What's the point of those white spaces?
They only make the the damn thing more difficult to read, especially since they blend in with the percentage numbers.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thats really XP'ish. It looks better with one color without white spaces, for example windows 7 default theme with blue color (or other color like in Linux, orange for example).

Last edited by Nemo on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tekko

Post by tekko »

[quote="Tomaso"]
I am not really sure that this is better or worse. I have mixed feelings.
[/quote]

I don't like it at all.

What's the point of those white spaces?
They only make the the damn thing more difficult to read, especially since they blend in with the percentage numbers.
[/quote]

+1
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="Nemo"]
Thats really XP'ish[/quote]

Yeah, well,,
I've been on WinXP since it first came out, but it took me about 2 minutes to switch to the grey (and boring) Windows Classic theme, which IMHO is the most functional look that M$ ever came up with!
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

'White space"? Do you mean the space between the green rectangles? If yes, it's the default XP progress bar look, I am sure you have seen it a bazillion times elsewhere in the OS/programs.
Yeah this doesn't look good on XP, but from Vista onwards the theme is much nicer for the progressbar.

EDIT: Also I am quite sure that we can make the percentage text black instead of white, which can be read easier.
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]'White space"? Do you mean the space between the green rectangles? If yes, it's the default XP progress bar look, I am sure you have seen it a bazillion times elsewhere in the OS/programs[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I ment.
Of course, I've seen it before, just not with my Windows theme..
I misunderstood and thought that you'd made that shit mandatory. :)

Since you're on WinXP, Sledge..
Perhaps you could do me a favor and switch to the Windows Classic theme, then post us another screenshot?
..That way I can tell the difference from how the progress bar looks on my system now.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

why can't we have both people tend to assume that you can't have a pretty UI and functional app this is wrong 
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Tomaso"]
Perhaps you could do me a favor and switch to the Windows Classic theme, then post us another screenshot?
..That way I can tell the difference from how the progress bar looks on my system now.
[/quote]

Sure, here it is:

Disclaimer: As I said the white text can be changed and be more readable. Also on other Win versions it should have the corresponding native look.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="Tomaso"]
[/quote]

Sure, here it is:

Disclaimer: As I said the white text can be changed and be more readable. Also on other Win versions it should have the corresponding native look.
[/quote]

Thanks.

Damn, those spaces are still there!
In that case, since I'm running WinXP; personally I would really prefer if you'd just leave the progress bar the way it is.

Here's how it looks now on my WinXP setup:

--

EDIT:
Just a quick question; How can this new progress bar of yours be using the Windows native look correctly?
I don't get those spaces in the progress bar with any of the programs that I've got installed on my system.
(WinXP32,SP3 / Windows Classic theme).
Last edited by Tomaso on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I think the "spaces" aren't drawn when the progressbar widget has the PBS_SMOOTH style. MSDN link->http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
Unfortunately I have no idea how to apply this style using qt code. It seems that the default qt progress bar doesn't apply this style attribute on windows.
(for the actual code see here:http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topic=20.msg6110#msg6110)
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

I think the "spaces" aren't drawn when the progressbar widget has the PBS_SMOOTH style. MSDN link->http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
[/quote]

Yeah, that explains it:

[quote="M$ Progress Bar Control Styles"]
PBS_SMOOTH
The progress bar displays progress status in a smooth scrolling bar instead of the default segmented bar.
Note  This style is supported only in the Windows Classic theme. All other themes override this style.
[/quote]
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

If you could enable the native bar depending on OS... that would be awesome.
But I'm not sure about Chris and the code. Is he ok with OS-specific code changes?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Actually the current code is OS specific, since on windows it draws the progress bar using the "Plastique" theme instead of the native theme. On all other platforms the native theme is used. Even if we enable this, it will look ok on Vista upwards but on XP it looks uglier than the current implementation.