Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

Dayman

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by Dayman »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Actually the current code is OS specific, since on windows it draws the progress bar using the "Plastique" theme instead of the native theme. On all other platforms the native theme is used. Even if we enable this, it will look ok on Vista upwards but on XP it looks uglier than the current implementation.
[/quote]
By thew way Plastique style is gone from Qt5. One of the blockers for Qt5 port.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Actually the current code is OS specific, since on windows it draws the progress bar using the "Plastique" theme instead of the native theme. On all other platforms the native theme is used. Even if we enable this, it will look ok on Vista upwards but on XP it looks uglier than the current implementation.
[/quote]

Whoops. I should really get to know the code. I'll put this on my TODO list and will try to find an occasion. :)
Dissentient

Post by Dissentient »

I think that the whole UI should be remade to fit into windows natively. Kinda like utorrent does.
Coloring of torrent list should be toned down, all colors should be closer to black.
All icons should be replaced with minimalistic ones, for example this style is good.

Right now qbittorrent on Windows 8 looks like alien time traveler from linux of around 2005.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

Since I was looking at UI today, I realized that it doesn't use the native widgets for all the controls. Eg it doesn't use the native progressbar for the torrent progress. I changed that in the code and here is how it looks:

I am not really sure that this is better or worse. I have mixed feelings. OS Windows XP. On Vista/7/8 it should use the native look too.
[/quote]
Thank you for doing some fiddling. It doesn't really work but it definitely looks more like Windows. I think a lot of people will be happy if the UI were more Windows Native and more up to date with Win7.

[quote="Dissentient"]
Right now qbittorrent on Windows 8 looks like alien time traveler from linux of around 2005.
[/quote]
To be honest, Linux in 2005 still looked better than how qBittorrent looks on Windows now. I would say qBittorrent looks more like Win98 at this point, with a few graphics borrowed from Linux in 2002
Last edited by Calidude on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Seriously, guys I don't see why you are bothered so much. Keep in mind that I use Windows XP, so I don't have experience of the visual style of Vista/7/8. Can you please post some screenshots of qbt vs random app that "looks goog"/"uses native style"/etc and point out(circle/outline them) the differences?
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

Seriously, guys I don't see why you are bothered so much. Keep in mind that I use Windows XP, so I don't have experience of the visual style of Vista/7/8. Can you please post some screenshots of qbt vs random app that "looks goog"/"uses native style"/etc and point out(circle/outline them) the differences?
[/quote]
Well, a good example of native style is uTorrent, obviously. With the Vista skin, its pretty much a perfect looking client. I'm not saying that qBittorrent should look just like this, but closer to this, with more bold, distinct and less flat sidebar icons, the use of more modern-looking buttons, native looking progress bar, less drab coloring with more of a blue instead of the grey, the use of tabs in the details section instead of buttons, and the search integrated into the existing UI instead of just being behind a tab.
Attachments
utorrent.png
Last edited by Calidude on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

It just looks dated everything from the fonts to the colors to the way the gradients are done its like looking back into 1999
sad part is its all easy fixes all you really need todo is change the colors and replace a few icons
red text on white is bad
orange text on white is bad
blocky progress bars are bad
input and search boxes without boarders are bad
the UI icons look like something ripped strait from shell32.dll
QbT needs a spit shine not a overhaul
Last edited by Onemoar on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="Onemoar"]
It just looks dated everything from the fonts to the colors to the way the gradients are done its like looking back into 1999
sad part is its all easy fixes all you really need todo is change the colors and replace a few icons
red text on white is bad
QbT needs a spit shine not a overhaul
[/quote]
Maybe somewhere in between. More in the direction of spit shine.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Onemoar"]
[/quote]
Please post a screenshot of qbt vs another program that illustrates this. I cannot understand what you are saying.

[quote="Onemoar"]
red text on white is bad
[/quote]
You might be right. What colors do you propose?
[quote="Onemoar"]
[/quote]
Pic please as mentioned above.
[quote="Onemoar"]
[/quote]
I agree with this one and I want to fix this. I have observed this in the search box in the search tab. Can you please tell if you have observed this elsewhere so I can fix it?
[quote="Onemoar"]
[/quote]
I don't think that shell32.dll has "shiny and big icons". Nevertheless, the icon theme change needs to be decided by the author. This isn't something that can be done in code.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

And since, this thread has appeared I have been noticing things in the UI. I notice things, where the native look is overriden and custom styles are used. This is bad in my checklist. The only reason to do it is when it absolutely looks horrible in the native look. So here is another screenshot, where the UI is made to use the native play/pause/up-down-arrow/folder/file icons. It all looks great IMHO except the file icon. Of course in Windows 7/8/Vista the native theme will be used also.

I think qbt should drop all custom icons which have an equivalent from the native theme, namely everything that exists in the QStyle::StandardPixmap enum.

tekko

Post by tekko »

And since, this thread has appeared I have been noticing things in the UI. I notice things, where the native look is overriden and custom styles are used. This is bad in my checklist. The only reason to do it is when it absolutely looks horrible in the native look. So here is another screenshot, where the UI is made to use the native play/pause/up-down-arrow/folder/file icons. It all looks great IMHO except the file icon. Of course in Windows 7/8/Vista the native theme will be used also.

I think qbt should drop all custom icons which have an equivalent from the native theme, namely everything that exists in the QStyle::StandardPixmap enum.

[/quote]

Is the left panel changed also? It looks better.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="tekko"]Is the left panel changed also? It looks better.
[/quote]

Nope, I didn't change something. It is git master running on Windows XP. How does it look on yours?
tekko

Post by tekko »

[quote="tekko"]Is the left panel changed also? It looks better.
[/quote]

Nope, I didn't change something. It is git master running on Windows XP. How does it look on yours?
[/quote]

The highlights on the text of the left panel disappear when you click something else(i.e. torrent list). I'm using classic theme'd xpsp3
Attachments
qbt.png
Last edited by tekko on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
UsL

Post by UsL »

This is how qb looks on my setup. It follows native classic with modified theme perfectly. Which I like very much.

The only "complaint" I have is that some icons are inconsistent. If we look at e.g. the inactive icon on the left pane it doesn't match the inactive icon in the torrents list pane. Plus those mirror effects on the icons make it a bit hard to see direction. One needs the colour to quickly grasp torrent status. And the alternative speed icon at the very bottom is not a standard size icon and looks a bit ugly in that sense.

Otherwise I think qb is absolutely fantastic consider GUI and I am very happy to have switched from uT.
tekko

Post by tekko »

I wonder why the highlights on the left panel doesn't stay on mine... :(

There's a screenshot attached with my previous post if you missed it.
Last edited by tekko on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.