Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by Peter »

I agree on the Orb, but I think 7 had a solid mix of usability and design.
My old man uses 7 with Aero. The man that never ventured past Classic Windows. And yet he loves it, as he got live views of the windows.
And heck, even a working old man loves beautiful things.

Most tech illiterate/new people tried 7 loved it on the first sight.

Time sure takes it's toll. People went far with XP too. I remember all those pirated theme packs and hacks.
8 is kinda like Linux for people. It's something new.
I never thought of it this way, but it's the very same thing I see and saw with newbie Linux users.
"Leenugz ze best zomg". They can't even perform the same tasks they did, they miss half the features, but it's the best.

While I do agree that the new task manager is good, the bad things easily outweight the good ones.
Why would I want to sacrifice a good looking interface with a flat one? I can't even see what is a button.
I have nothing against modern. OS X looks good. iOS looks good. Android past-Holo/HTC Sense looks good. iOS7 (the latest final one) looks pretty good (except the silly gradients background).

Btw you probably saw the news... Microsoft just lost tons of money due to the 8 and RT failure.
Dissentient

Post by Dissentient »

Windows 8 is a failure not because it's flat, it's because metro is a really bad interface. It's clearly touch-oriented yet they didn't even try to adapt it for desktop, they just went ahead and put the same thing they put into desktop OS as on tablets without changing anything. The end result is completely counter-intuitive and objectively annoying interface that wastes tons of screen space and causes a lot of excess movements.

As for flat, I told you my subjective opinion. Flat is good because it's minimalistic and modern. Android from Google is pretty flat, don't see any complaints. iOS 7 is flat. Windows 8 looks good. It's both new and bad and that's why people hate it.
s4nder

Post by s4nder »

Feature request: color torrents by tracker status.

uTorrent nicely shows when a torrent has been deleted from the tracker or has some type of connection error by coloring the icon red. qBT doesn't alert the user of this and I periodically have to manually go through hundreds of tracker statuses to remove inactive torrents.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@s4nder

What happens when a torrent has multiple trackers but some of them error out and others work?
s4nder

Post by s4nder »

In that case I think it's shown as normally working. For me this is mostly a problem with private trackers where torrents are often deleted or rereleased and there's only a single tracker.
UsL

Post by UsL »

Icons are not layout. Icons are icons. The layout is perfect, easy to monitor and the layout follows the current windows theme to the point. Windows 8 is terrible bust last time I checked, programs still looks like it did back on windows 7. And no one uses the task manager for serious info. You use Process Hacker: http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/ So enough with that.

The poll speaks for it self. Ppl like the layout and prefers the minor changes that probably are the icons. So lets put the energy there. I like the monochrome idea but it doesn't really matter. What matters is consistency. That the icons looks the same everywhere.
Ryrynz

Post by Ryrynz »

So this client is the new up and coming client.. I'll be keeping my eye on it as uTorrent is basically dead, but won't give it a shot until the UI looks as tidy as uTorrent does.
I've never heard anyone complain about it's user interface it's always been known as one of the best, I prefer my apps to look like proper native windows apps which uTorrent does..
It's all about proper spacing and icons, please try and mimic the design, I'd like to see something surpassing uTorrent in both form and function.
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

I voted for minors changes because I like the layout itself, but yes I agree that the icons are ugly. Aren't there free open source icon packs available?

qBittorrent is the best client for Windows.. utorrent is just bullshit, deluge is slow in windows (probably cuz of gtk+), and halite isn't as polished as qBittorrent.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="phrostbyte"]
I voted for minors changes because I like the layout itself, but yes I agree that the icons are ugly. Aren't there free open source icon packs available?

qBittorrent is the best client for Windows.. utorrent is just bullshit, deluge is slow in windows (probably cuz of gtk+), and halite isn't as polished as qBittorrent.
[/quote]

If you look a few of my previous posts you will see a few links to icon packs that I was considering.

About deluge: It has nothing to do with qt/gtk+/other ui toolkit. It is slow because it uses libtorrent 0.15.x series which don't support utp connections. And I think the same goes for halite.

EDIT: Here is my post: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topi ... ml#msg7422

EDIT2: At others you liked the monochrome/flat/greyish approach. I see one small difficulty on them. Traditionally, icons for the torrent status which indicate download/upload/paused are distinguished mostly by color. If I go the greyish way, we will loose that accessibility feature... Do you have any suggestions?
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

So let's keep the torrent icons they way they are, I think they look good. And let's change the toolbar icons to the grey ones?
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote="phrostbyte"]
So let's keep the torrent icons they way they are, I think they look good. And let's change the toolbar icons to the grey ones?
[/quote]
+1
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="phrostbyte"]
[/quote]

Wouldn't this look weird? Like a "frankenstein" ui?
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

I don't think it would any more of a frankenstein ui than it already is haha
UsL

Post by UsL »

I disagree. Consistency is key to a pleasant looking UI. Having mixed monochrome and coloured wouldn't look good at all. In that case better leave it as it is.
For colouring direction based on active or inactive I'd suggest using the already present icon on the left pane. As qBT doesn't have a stopped state and only paused state it would make sense. Or change it from a stop icon to smthng smarter. But the icon it self is already present. Would only make sense using the same in the pane as in the list.
Ryrynz

Post by Ryrynz »

I'd like the general/trackers/peers buttons removed at the bottom and done like uTorrent. With a upwards arrow to expand up the window and display tabs rather than messing up the UI with buttons.