Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Simple improvement to the Options dialogue:

Watched Folders: Swap around the columns in the list 'widget'

Because a HUGE column with just a checkbox and a fixed width column that is 1/8th the size of the holder for the file name is a little 'unusual'.
[/quote]

I approve.
fusk

Post by fusk »

Who actually does the work on the UI, if there's any specific ?
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
I would like Windows users to actually take a good hard look at the M$ ethos of form over function and see where it has led them.

The OS is bloated with all manner of 'features' that probably 95% of users do not know exist and would never use if they did know they were there. Each new version requires faster hardware to run it on, and of course some versions now require everybody to be buying "Touch screens" before it can be used efficiently.

Then there is M$ Office ....
[/quote]
To be fair, the update to Windows 8 coming next month lets it run on 512MB of ram, and its easy to use Windows 8 without ever seeing a stupid touchscreen UI. I primarily run Linux but for my Windows machine, I use qBittorrent.

But this has nothing to do with qBittorrent. No matter what the platform, the UI must be a priority, as people value aesthetics. If we want to bring people from uTorrent to qBittorrent, we need a good looking UI so that they don't feel like they are downgrading, even if they are actually upgrading.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

we need a good looking UI so that they don't feel like they are downgrading, even if they are actually upgrading.

Maybe, but would you 'upgrade' to a Ferrari when you need a vehicle that can move a pallet of bricks from A to B??

BitTorrent clients are utility applications that need to run unattended and unnoticed, adding "go faster stripes" to it does not enhance the performance. For a  long time now, my "workhorse" client has been KTorrent running on Centos, and nobody could ever accuse KTorrent of being a "Mink coat, no knickers" kind of client  :)
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

ciaobaby wrote:
we need a good looking UI so that they don't feel like they are downgrading, even if they are actually upgrading.

Maybe, but would you 'upgrade' to a Ferrari when you need a vehicle that can move a pallet of bricks from A to B??

BitTorrent clients are utility applications that need to run unattended and unnoticed, adding "go faster stripes" to it does not enhance the performance. For a  long time now, my "workhorse" client has been KTorrent running on Centos, and nobody could ever accuse KTorrent of being a "Mink coat, no knickers" kind of client  :)
I'm not saying that there is any difference in the software's performance. I'm saying if you want to have a lot of users, your software's looks actually matter, because generally, people like good looking software.

I know this is unfortunate, but its true.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I'm not saying that there is any difference in the software's performance.
The point is that there IS a difference in performance. The more "shiny things" that are added to the GUI to make it "pretty", the larger the running footprint gets and the performance where it matters suffers  a little more for each one

Maybe the ones who want "good looking software" should realise that it comes with a performance cost.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

ciaobaby wrote:
I'm not saying that there is any difference in the software's performance.
The point is that there IS a difference in performance. The more "shiny things" that are added to the GUI to make it "pretty", the larger the running footprint gets and the performance where it matters suffers  a little more for each one

Maybe the ones who want "good looking software" should realise that it comes with a performance cost.
I think that kind of overhead is negligible in todays PC. (Unles you are loading MBs of icons into memory). Otherwise, we would still run programs with text uis !

To everyone wondering, the icon overhaul will come with v3.2.x not in the 3.1.x series. (And no ETA on 3.2.x)
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

On their own probably not, but It  mounts up though, because it doesn't need that many bloated applications running for even a i7 or a Xeon powered machine to be noticeably slowed down, Firefox on Windows being a prime example of a resource hog.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

New poll for the torrent status' colour: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2509.0.html
muhfreedums

Post by muhfreedums »

Instead of hardcoding things into the UI, perhaps a customizable UI could be made. Something akin to the SMPlayer icon themes would be nice so that everyone can make their own icons to fit their GTK theme or visual style.
A color picker for the torrents active/paused/downloading text would be nice as well.
I feel that this way you guys can please everyone without having to make a ton of icons or any at all.
WhiteCastleKing

Post by WhiteCastleKing »

[quote="muhfreedums"]
Instead of hardcoding things into the UI, perhaps a customizable UI could be made.
[/quote]

Exactly this. Like with notepad++, there could be some presets that the user could load, or have options for setting the colors for torrent status,  background color, etc.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="muhfreedums"]
Instead of hardcoding things into the UI, perhaps a customizable UI could be made. Something akin to the SMPlayer icon themes would be nice so that everyone can make their own icons to fit their GTK theme or visual style.
A color picker for the torrents active/paused/downloading text would be nice as well.
I feel that this way you guys can please everyone without having to make a ton of icons or any at all.
[/quote]

I don't want to enable theming(or similar). In non-windows environments the icons will be picked up by the gtk/qt them used if it provides any. The colors the same, except for the colors in the transferlist.

About the colorpicker: I had suggested this a few pages back, but users thought that it is bloat(I kinda agree).
anonymous_ux

Post by anonymous_ux »

Can you make it into a more minimalistic design? stuff like flat icons and minimal colours. This is where most people are heading, and for good reason.
TheMinecrafter

Post by TheMinecrafter »

You mean like this?

Feel free to give input on this mockup.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="WhiteCastleKing"]
[quote="muhfreedums"]
Instead of hardcoding things into the UI, perhaps a customizable UI could be made.
[/quote]

Exactly this. Like with notepad++, there could be some presets that the user could load, or have options for setting the colors for torrent status,  background color, etc.
[/quote]
I honestly think this is the best solution, but will take a while to implement, I'm guessing. We need a better default scheme in the meantime.

@TheMinecrafter, that is an improvement but the buttons look repetitive with the green/red, green/red coloring, and they are a little too basic.
Last edited by Calidude on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.