Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Windows specific questions, problems.

Do you think qBittorrent's UI needs considerable improvement?

Yes, it needs a complete overhaul.
36%
No, just minor fixes.
53%
No, keep it as is.
11%

Total votes: 110

sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Will any work be done on improving qBittorrent's UI?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

If anyone remembers my experiments a few posts above in using the native icons: I will try the next few days to use them everywhere in the code, and delete the unused oxygen-theme ones. I will post several screenshots of it. I'll upload the code, so Dayman can do a test-build on other OS(if he can).
tekko

Post by tekko »

hey sledgehammer, have u checked out my screenshot? It's about the left panel if you don't recall.

http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?acti ... =320;image
Last edited by tekko on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="tekko"]
hey sledgehammer, have u checked out my screenshot? It's about the left panel if you don't recall.

[/quote]

Yes I have seen it. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix this. I don't even know if qt lets us configure that.
tekko

Post by tekko »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
[quote="tekko"]

[/quote]

Yes I have seen it. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix this. I don't even know if qt lets us configure that.
[/quote]

Thanks anyway.
xphstos

Post by xphstos »

Since I'm new and this is my 1st post I would like to thank the devs for this torrent client.
I'm thrilled with the client, I used to run and old version of ?Torrent (1.8,.3) and it was time to check something fresh!
So I take my time and start reading articles about torrent clients all over the web.
I read about qB at many articles and I said to myself let's try it... and then I stuck... Loved the features, exactly what i was looking for!!!

Althought, I must admit it, qb was the last client I tried out even if it was one of the first alternatives I read of.
Why you ask? It was the UI... I kept visiting the homepage and I was holding back myself because of the UI.
(I'm a Graphic Desiger and things like that, kinda matters for me...)
When every other program failed to fulfill my needs I give a try at qb. The story after that is known... :D
I was feeling bad cause I didn't give a chance sooner to this client, I waste my time, wich I assure you wasn't easy to find, trying out other programs.

About the UI: Don't get my wrong, the layout is very nice, I just disslike the icons, i find them too hard to read, I would like a more simplistic approach.
I would really like to help if you need any...

Then I think, it must be a way to change something in the UI about this program, so I download a Resource editor and I managed only to change the Logo icon.
Is there any way to change the icons too? With some editor? (For Windows)
As I was browsing throught posts I saw some users that have done it.

Anyway, thanks again for this lovely client it's the best I've tried so far and I'm very excited about it! Cheers!
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="xphstos"](I'm a Graphic Desiger and things like that, kinda matters for me...)[/quote]
You should consider drawing up a mockup of what you want qBittorrent to look like and post the image for us.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Since I am the qBittorrent maintainer now. I propose to UI changes to the community:

1. Rework the list items colors. ie paused should never be red.
2. I am ok with changing the icons. But I need proposals. Can you link to free/open icon sets? Or can you design some? I am open to suggestions. Then we can debate which get to be chosen.
3. Number 2 won't be implemented if there are many users that oppose it.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

What if qBittorrent would have BMP/other similar files like uTorrent?
For Icon sets and whatnot.

Then we could also have a simple to use interface (like "Skins" tab in Settings), where you could install new "qbskin" files. (or just images).
Finally, there would be a list where you could choose icons.

How about that? I'm not familiar with Qt, all I can do is just imagine the layout/function.
(I know you can't modify the theme as that's a Qt Widget engine.)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Too much effort involved in implementing those kind of features. Moreover, we want the app to be simple and not have every bell and whistle out there. I think we have to settle on a neutral icon theme and go with it.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Too much effort involved in implementing those kind of features. Moreover, we want the app to be simple and not have every bell and whistle out there. I think we have to settle on a neutral icon theme and go with it.
[/quote]
Actually skins are supported by Qt internally: CSS styles.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

That looks neat!
Maybe we could have some database for the themes so users could write some great themes?
(Sorry for thinking in such great steps. I'm pretty sure you guys are busy enough.)
alfrix

Post by alfrix »

1. Rework the list items colors. ie paused should never be red.
That would be nice, maybe black for active/queued torrents, grey for paused and dark-grey for completed/seeding?
What about changing the progress bar colors? i suggest blue=ongoing and green=completed grey=paused

I did some tests with new icons, but i didn't quite nailed it yet...
Also why is there an down arrow on the resume/pause buttons, maybe some extra options that were removed?
Attachments
Captura.JPG
Last edited by alfrix on Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tekko

Post by tekko »

[quote="alfrix"]
Also why is there an down arrow on the resume/pause buttons, maybe some extra options that were removed?
[/quote]

When you hold down those buttons, you get "resume all" and "pause all".
alfrix

Post by alfrix »

[quote="tekko"]
When you hold down those buttons, you get "resume all" and "pause all".
[/quote]

Thanks, didn't noticed that before...
Wouldn't be more intuitive to have those options on right click? or maybe when you click the arrow?
Last edited by alfrix on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="alfrix"]...[/quote]

Holy... that is a REALLY ugly theme.
Why don't you use a better-looking Qt Style? :-/

It's so ugly... :(