when VPN loses connection qBit keeps going/reconnects and then I get DMCA threat

Windows specific questions, problems.
scifi3dzoo

when VPN loses connection qBit keeps going/reconnects and then I get DMCA threat

Post by scifi3dzoo »

Comcast is going to cut me loose if this keeps happening too much.  I had it on all day too (Private Internet Access) and it disconnected after about 8 hrs.  Probably normal to drop a connection but how can I stop qBit from resuming downloads then I get in trouble with Comcast??
OpenSourcer

Re: when VPN loses connection qBit keeps going/reconnects and then I get DMCA threat

Post by OpenSourcer »

Well, I suppose it would be pointless to suggest that you not download things that will cause DMCA warnings...

I don't think qbittorrent (or any torrent program, for that matter) has the ability to detect a VPN failure and shut down.  I'm no expert though, so there could be a way I don't know of.
ItWasSooted

Re: when VPN loses connection qBit keeps going/reconnects and then I get DMCA threat

Post by ItWasSooted »

Advanced Options > Network Interface > Select the VPN interface and restart.

Qbittorrent will now only connect through that interface. If the VPN goes down, then Qbittorrent will drop all connections.
scifi3dzoo

Post by scifi3dzoo »

In qBit I don't see anything under interface that looks like my VPN.  I use Private Internet Access.  Just few diff ethernets and a loopback.  In case anybody else has it PIA has a killswitch feature but you have to turn it off and on everytime.
ItWasSooted

Post by ItWasSooted »

One of them is the VPN adapter.

Open Network and Sharing Centre > Change adapter settings (top left) > Right click the one that says TAP-Windows Adapter V9 and rename to VPN.

You'll now get a new entry named VPN in Qbittorrent. Select this one and restart.
scifi3dzoo

Post by scifi3dzoo »

Thank you thank you.  This is better than PIA(VPN) solution was to use a killswitch.  And I had to manually close the app every time or it killed all of my internet.
micokeman

Post by micokeman »

Another solution is to use a Proxy Server that PIA provides. The configuration is under Options | Connection. Select SOCKS5.

PIA has the correct settings on their support page.
there

Post by there »

[quote="scifi3dzoo"]
In qBit I don't see anything under interface that looks like my VPN.  I use Private Internet Access.  Just few diff ethernets and a loopback.  In case anybody else has it PIA has a killswitch feature but you have to turn it off and on everytime.
[/quote]
Huh?, I was once with PIA, and think they are one of the better ones, but some isp traddice manage some vpn ips :(

If Comcast can see the actual traffic, instead of an encrypted stream, at best you are leaking, and worst you misconfigured it.

You need to run PIA client. The man must be green. This shows you are connected, but you also still may have alternative paths available that are not protected. Enable the kill switch, but if the man is no longer green, stop an close down all torrent and other illegal services you are using before turning the thing off.  make sure the man is gree before turning stuff on. The kill switch should prevent this fro happening, but kill switches are normally only a firewall rule.

If you have a nic and one or more wifi cards, disable everything except the device you prefer to use. PIA only protects one device and it that device looses connection like a nic windows will seamlessly move the windows service to unprotected wifi, but PIA will still be connected to the nic.

when starting QB or after each break using QB you have keep going into Tools > options > Advanced > 'Optional IP Addresses to bind to' and select to 10.x network again.

Turn off ip v6. Most security software still only works for ipv4

Iceland and Estonia are the freest web countries in the world to set you end point to. Netherlands are also fairly lax. The saying is "never shlt on your own doorstep" comes to mind :)

While we are on the safety subject, run the free version of MalwareBytes, and run your av checker too.

Do not use the PIA proxy service as Proxys does not encrypt data, and your isp can see still everything, but the endpoint host wont see you.

read this https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/top ... cseen.html

It has been a few years since I have been with PIA, at the time there was no IKEv2 protocol. This protocol is both faster and has the ability to auto-reconnect, unlike openvpn. I kept disconnecting a lot so left. I still disconnect with the new provider, but not as much, and it does not always automatically reconnect - seems to be country dependant. When you reconnect and do not get the same ip again, you will have to go into the settings and choose your vpn ip again.

look here too https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/p ... t-support/
there

Post by there »

try these too (my endpoint is Switzerland - not the best :( ) look at the map, it found me  - but I moved the picture a bit:) - file would not attach but would have displayed the pages from the link below - sorry
https://ipleak.net/
https://www.doileak.com

for privacy reasons, vpn users are often all clumped together so to not to single one individual out, but a look here is worthwhile https://iknowwhatyoudownload.com

:off topic: on the ipleak under 'Geek Details', this and other information not listed here can be obtained from your browser to fingerprint you and your actions. Even though this site only uses the more basic fingerprint methods, it probably will find that you are unique. https://panopticlick.eff.org "Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 196,364 tested in the past 45 days." so it told me. With Tails I was no longer unique, but I was one out of many many thousands, but probably unique on that day

If you are in the spotlight, may have your pc commandeered, or stolen? it could be prudent to use full disk encryption like VeraCrypt?
Last edited by there on Fri May 24, 2019 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.