Delayed Write Failed

Windows specific questions, problems.
Therealredding

Delayed Write Failed

Post by Therealredding »

I keep getting a Windows pop up that reads

“qBitTorrent.exe - Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file (torrent being downloaded) the data has been lost. This error may be caused if the device has been moved or the media is write-protected.”

If I click the “OK” the file keeps downloading and when it’s complete the file is fine. However the message pops up multiple times till the download is complete. This only happens with qBitTorrent, it doesn’t happen if I download using a different client and I do get this message if I write to the drive from another drive.

I’m writing to an eternal USB 3.0 drive. I’m using an up to date version of qBitBorrent on Windows 10. Just be be sure I downloaded and ran Crystal Disk Info and it reported the health of the drive as good. I’ve also tried uninstalling and reinstalling qBitTorrent and I thought that had fixed it but the problem as just started happening again.

Any ideas?
Attachments
1D0F6D64-17DA-4EB0-ADC2-2038BB18F9F7.jpeg
1D0F6D64-17DA-4EB0-ADC2-2038BB18F9F7.jpeg (92.51 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
Last edited by Therealredding on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Re: Delayed Write Failed

Post by Switeck »

1.What version of qBitTorrent?

2.Did you try also with completely new/default qBitTorrent settings?

3.Try enabling/disabling Coalesce Disk Writes in qBT's advanced settings?
NCQ may not be working properly on that drive and qBT is the only thing aggressive enough with mad numbers of little writes to trigger it.
there

Post by there »

is your disk full? that item you are donloading, do you have sufficient space for qb to move it?
Therealredding

Post by Therealredding »

[quote="Switeck"]
1.What version of qBitTorrent?

2.Did you try also with completely new/default qBitTorrent settings?

3.Try enabling/disabling Coalesce Disk Writes in qBT's advanced settings?
NCQ may not be working properly on that drive and qBT is the only thing aggressive enough with mad numbers of little writes to trigger it.
[/quote]

1. I’m running the latest update

2. Yes, when I reinstalled it the only setting I touched was the up/down speed limits

3. I can’t seem to find Coalesce Disk Writes in the setting.

Wouldn’t the other torrent client I tried be just as aggressive? I tried Transmission for Windows and it didn’t tricker the same pop up.
Therealredding

Post by Therealredding »

[quote="there"]
is your disk full? that item you are donloading, do you have sufficient space for qb to move it?
[/quote]

Yep....about a half TB left
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Coalesce Disk Writes only became an option in the last couple versions...maybe v4.1.5 at the earliest.
Therealredding

Post by Therealredding »

[quote="Switeck"]
Coalesce Disk Writes only became an option in the last couple versions...maybe v4.1.5 at the earliest.
[/quote]

I’m running that latest version of qB and can’t seem to find Coalesce Disk Write in the settings. Anyways, things seem to be working now. I don’t know why, I didn’t do anything other than test another Torrent client.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I didn't name the option precisely...it's "Coalesce reads & writes" under the Advanced options, the 7th option under the Libtorrent section.
Not having that checked will cause qBitTorrent's reads and writes to often be 16KB size too much of the time.
Therealredding

Post by Therealredding »

[quote="Switeck"]
I didn't name the option precisely...it's "Coalesce reads & writes" under the Advanced options, the 7th option under the Libtorrent section.
Not having that checked will cause qBitTorrent's reads and writes to often be 16KB size too much of the time.
[/quote]

Ok found it....it’s checked at the moment. If I start having problems again should I uncheck it?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Yes...
Although it is probably better left checked, try unchecking if you're having problems again.
Therealredding

Post by Therealredding »

[quote="Switeck"]
Yes...
Although it is probably better left checked, try unchecking if you're having problems again.
[/quote]

Will do. Thanks for the help!
forgeflow

Post by forgeflow »

I was running into this issue when my destination directory was set to an external USB3 hard drive. I fixed the problem by going into Disk Management and setting the policy for the drive to “Better Performance” instead of “Quick Removal.”
calpolvid

Post by calpolvid »