Question: Python 2 & 3 installed - which is being used?

Windows specific questions, problems.
AOK

Question: Python 2 & 3 installed - which is being used?

Post by AOK »

Hi

Installed on Win 10 (1909) with Qbit 4.2.1 both Python 2.7 & 3.8.1. Checked that my sys environment paths include both Python folder paths (had to add 3.8.1 manually, cause it added it ONLY in the user's one only on installation).

My question is - are both being used by the search engine or only one of them? If the latter - which?

Thanks in advance for your answer :-)

EDIT: Update the forum policy PLS, had to rewrite the whole post because my login timed out :-(
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question: Python 2 & 3 installed - which is being used?

Post by Peter »

I am 99.99999% sure its Python 3....
link01

Post by link01 »

On Unix-like OS it's python3 that get's elected if both python3 and python2 exist.
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... s.cpp#L253

For Windows, it goes through the registry and looks for it there, if that fails then it looks for default python location. I cannot understand the code that well to know what is the election process for windows other than it looks for 32bit software first, but you can look into your log file path below and see what qBittorrent found and elected on your system.

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\qBittorrent\logs

Code: Select all

(I) 2019-12-30T03:22:58 - Python detected, executable name: 'python', version: 3.7.4
On a Unix-like OS where both python2 and python3 exist, the log shows:

Code: Select all

cat qbittorrent.log.bak2 | grep python
(I) 2019-12-30T15:38:36 - Python detected, executable name: 'python3', version: 3.6.9
(I) 2020-01-01T22:32:12 - Python detected, executable name: 'python3', version: 3.6.9
(I) 2020-01-05T19:36:27 - Python detected, executable name: 'python3', version: 3.6.9
AOK

Post by AOK »

What I found so far is that by "installing by a link" the rutracker went into the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\qBittorrent\nova (which is P2), instead of nova3.

Even though it had both as an option (or that's at least what I believe)....
procqbt

Post by procqbt »

Same issue here.
procqbt

Post by procqbt »

I was able to resolve this in my case:

I'm running qBT 64-bit and I noticed my install for python 3 was 32-bit. Uninstalled and Re-installed, still didn't recognize python 3.

Next I installed (custom) and checked install for all users which changed the install path to ProgramFiles. Now qBT recognizes python 3.

Hope this helps someone else.
Last edited by procqbt on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.