Torrent Client inside a VM; Missing files on restart

Windows specific questions, problems.
sscilli

Torrent Client inside a VM; Missing files on restart

Post by sscilli »

I've been dealing with an issue for months now that is getting very tedious.I run my torrent client inside of a Window 10 VM using Hyper-V. I use an enhanced session so that I have access to my main computers hard drives.

I'm not sure what the root cause is but at times after an unexpected restart(power outage or windows update etc) my torrent client will load up with several albums showing missing files. I have a feeling it may also be related to the enhanced session failing and the hard drives not being mounted properly. However the files are not really missing and I can play them just fine in my media player. The percentage complete may range from 0% to 99% and rechecking never changes the percentage.

This is happening in qbittorrent but also happened in utorrent. I've tried deleting and re-downloading the torrent file itself. I've tried moving the download location and the files, and rechecking. Nothing seems to have any effect. If I start downloading again they will download and complete, but the same exact torrents will go back to their missing file status the next time the torrent client is restarted.

Anyone using a VM to torrent that has dealt with this or a similar issue? I'm at my wits end.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Torrent Client inside a VM; Missing files on restart

Post by Peter »

- You should use network share instead of vm tools, no matter what you use. It seems SO MUCH MORE STABLE..and faster.
- I recommend using VirtualBox/Vmware, worked better for me.

So I used samba + Ubuntu vm with VPN, and had no file issues ever.