Can someone explain connection limits functionality at a base level?

Windows specific questions, problems.
klepp0906

Can someone explain connection limits functionality at a base level?

Post by klepp0906 »

Ive posted this on several sub-reddits now. So im just going to copy and paste. Everyone seems to offer suggestions for speed, or suggestions on client,. but nobody is able to answer the question. I didnt want to have to clog up the issues tracker to find someone "in the know" so I figure this is a middle ground.

I'm simply looking to understand how the partitioning works in regards to connection limits. Is it static (like partitioning a hard drive) or is it dynamic. Here is the post.
So i use qbittorrent. I know connection limits are more or less a thing across most clients, but to keep things easily discernable I figured its worth mentioning.

I have symmetrical gigabit fiber and a relatively fast mechanical HDD (10tb barracuda pros). I have a large enough disk cache and expiry that i dont see any cache overload apart from extreme circumstances.

I use private trackers 99% of the time. My download speeds have always maxxed more or less around ~90MiBs or so as I chop DL/UL off at a conservative 80% so 4k tv and background antics dont suffer.

However in the end, I get abysmal abysmal upload speeds. Now on one hand, i realize this is par for the course on private trackers. I probably have less of a problem than I think. I'm simply trying to understand the behavior im seeing.

To be thorough, i have my setttings as global max connections 900, connections per torrent 100, global upload 900, upload slots per torrent 100.

I'm trying to ascertain when and how these rules go into effect. By having those limits in place, does it apply only if my connections are loaded up? As in, if i only have two torrents going, and am only connected to 3 peers each, then there is no major slicing of bandwidth alotted? (i think my settings break down to about 100KiB a slot or some such, assuming connections were all used up)

I ask because I am seeing behavior that indicates otherwise on my active torrents. I have about 6 actively seeding right now (60 or so potential but most are overseeded/unpopular so just hanging out). The active ones have equal or better seed to peer ratio. On several im the only seed and am connected to 1-4 peers.

My upload is only ~200KiBs or so indicating one of two things (as far as my understanding goes) either upload speed is limited by my settings (aka only giving xxx per slot even though they are the only ones connected) or the peers have atrocious download speeds and can only pull that much.

which is it? or is it something else all together?

Does 900 global upload slots mean it takes my 89600KiB upload limit and chops it up into 900 pieces and thats that. Or is does it mean that if i have 1 connection on 1 torrent that individual peer could technically get all 89600? two peers it would breakdown further to 44800 etc (dynamic)?

Sorry for the book, really just trying to maximize my upload capability to to become a more attractive peer to connect to, and to not have to seed for 5 months straight to break 1:1 etc.

I'm not one of those guys who runs 1000 torrents simultaneously. I dont think ive ever broken 100.

Appreciate any insight!