Windows interference

Windows specific questions, problems.
ttrezise

Windows interference

Post by ttrezise »

Running qbitorrent 4.2.5 64 bit causes interference with other running processes, especially video such as youtube. Are there settings that would alleviate this. I didn't have this issue before 4.2.4.
Paranoimia

Re: Windows interference

Post by Paranoimia »

I've been experiencing this since 4.2.3 - not just with video. Windows itself becomes very stuttery, even the pointer pauses every few seconds. If I quit qBittorrent everything returns to normal. Restarting qBittorrent, everything is fine for a while until it starts again. Almost seems as if there's a memory leak or something similar.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Just running the application causes this?
Or when it downloads?
When it downloads fast?
Paranoimia

Post by Paranoimia »

For me, it happens when qBT has been running for a while and is just seeding.

Today, for example... as I type this, I'd had qBT running for about two-and-a-half hours with no issues. Two downloads finished in minutes, and it's been seeding ever since. The laptop has just begun stuttering, with video playback (YouTube, Facebook) having slight broken sound issues. The Windows pointer also began pausing very briefly every few seconds.

I closed qBT and everything returned to normal. I've restarted it, and everything is fine, and will most likely remain so for (probably) a few hours.

It doesn't seem to be related to upload/download speeds. My connection is 100Mb/s down, 10Mb/s up, and my settings restrict qBT to less than half of those. These settings are unchanged since pre-4.2.3 and I'd never had the issue before. 4.2.3 is when it started for me, and when 4.2.4 arrived I thought maybe it was an issue which had been noticed and resolved, but it seems not. (Admittedly wasn't checking release notes.) With 4.2.5 still doing it, I decided to check the forums and saw this thread.
Paranoimia

Post by Paranoimia »

I uninstalled and re-installed qBT earlier today, and have left it running twice to seed, only to come back to my laptop has rebooted... I can only assume as the result of a crash.

Obviously I can't say that it was qBT which caused it as I wasn't using the computer when it happened, but it was the only software running aside from Malwarebytes and BitDefender. If the problem causing the stuttering gets worse over time, I suspect it could eventually cause a crash.

I'm going to leave the laptop on again now, exactly as it was before but without qBT running, and see if it seems to have rebooted again in another few hours.
Paranoimia

Post by Paranoimia »

Ignore my last post... I was using the laptop when it came up with a BSOD. The crash was caused by mwac.sys, a Malwarebytes process. Looking at their forums, it (the crashing) is a known issue.

I've removed Malwarebytes for now. I have qBT running at the moment, and will see if the stuttering also stops.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

My system running with Ryzen 3900x has no stutters or whatsoever. My mate using Ryzen 5 3600 has also no problems either. We are both very active (heavy) users. Maxing our speed for downloading or uploading if needed without problems. I can't reproduce or confirm this issue with any version of qBittorrent.

Using Chrome doing everything with it, listening music with Foobar using Wasapi plugin if that matters.
revpjbbq

Post by revpjbbq »

Thank you for your sharing of your experiences with qBittorrent and stuttering mouse, audio, and video playback.

I have been experiencing these issues for a few months and have been able to recover each time.

Initially I would restart my system and have no further issues for a day, sometimes two.

I eventually realized I could quit qBittorrent and wait a while, usually 15-20 minutes for qBittorrent.exe process to actually drop out of my "Task Manager --> Background processes."

I've done this for about a month, but your mentioning of Malwarebytes today, I am a Malwarebytes Premium user, had me try something different.

When the system began stuttering, slow choppy mouse movement, audio choppiness in YouTube, video issues, and the like, I quit Malwarebytes and my system recovered as it has when I quit qBittorrent.

It seems the issue is an interaction or incompatibility with Malwarebytes and qBittorrent. I have qBittorrent.exe and its folder in the Malwarebytes "Allow List" though I imagine the many network connections and open file handles that Malwarebytes monitors seems to be overwhelmed in time with my very, very heavy qBittorrent usage.

Just thought I would share.

TL;DR After 12-24 hours qBittorrent use also leads to the same issue as you are experiencing. I have found that quitting Malwarebytes recovers my system the same as quitting qBittorrent.
seto

Post by seto »

I experienced the same behavior. Once I updated to Qbittorrent v4.2.5, while seeding, my windows pc experienced system studders (audio, mouse, keyboard interactions all ground to a halt) something was hitting my C drive every 20-30 seconds with a short duration but near 100% I/O spike.

As soon as I reverted to Qbittorrent v4.2.4, this behavior went away.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4801, 7/25/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product SABERTOOTH X79
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 56.5 GB
Total Virtual Memory 67.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 57.6 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Paranoimia

Post by Paranoimia »

For my part, it seems now that qBT is not at fault. At least, not directly. The problem seems to be with the Malwarebytes web protection module having issues with various BT clients... if I disable that, there are no issues with stuttering or crashing, even after qBT has been running for several hours.

I'd assumed it was a qBT issue as the problem literally started just hours after I installed 4.2.3.

Please accept my apologies!
DarthContinent

Post by DarthContinent »

Interesting!!

I also have Malwarebytes installed and I've been having this issue with qBT stable 4.2.5.

I might try downgrading to 4.2.4 to see if that helps; I'd rather not create an exclusion in MWB but might explore that as well. :)
DarthContinent

Post by DarthContinent »

Update: I downgraded to qBT stable 4.2.2 and the issue seems to have largely gone away. When first opening or opening after it's been minimized or in the systray a while there are a few seconds of hard drive activity as it seems to bring itself back to the foreground but at least there's no full-blown system-crippling stoppage happening.

Will stay on this version until I hear good news about 4.2.5 and beyond.
JimmyTheLeecher

Post by JimmyTheLeecher »

I'm having an extreme slowdown with qBittorrent 4.2.5 this past week. I thought it was chrome, but when I exited qB, everything went back to normal after a few mintues. I can't even move my mouse as it just slowly jerks around the screen.
d321

Post by d321 »

Similar thing. Sometimes during fast download or upload when I try to open qBT 4.2.5. window from tray icon, Win 10 interface freezes for a while. I downgraded to 4.2.1. and freeze time diminished, but the problem persist.
romanovs

Post by romanovs »

Got exactly the same issue, when qbittorrent 4.2.5 is running PC slows to a crawl : Mouse stutters across screen, browsers take long time to switch between tabs etc etc

As soon as I exit Qbittorrent, things return to normal

Have seen elsewhere this was linked to Malwarebytes, but i don't have that installed