Incredilbly slow download speeds, help?

Windows specific questions, problems.
Shuamann1

Incredilbly slow download speeds, help?

Post by Shuamann1 »

Anyone able to assist with a download speed issue?
Using PIA (VPN) with a port assignment, port forwarded fine, TCP/UDP set in Connection Options. Not sure what's going on here. For a short period of time I was over 1 mb/s but I've been hovering around 100 kb/s or less. I am writing to a NAS directly over a 1/gbps LAN connection.

Worth noting this is a fresh Windows install on a new PC. Hasnt had reliable transfer rates since being built a week ago.
Changing the PIA (VPN) server offers immediate speed increases for a few seconds then straight back down to sub 100 kib/s.

Downloading to my NVMe SSD does not provide any speed increase. I believe this is either network or application related.
Shuamann1

Re: Incredilbly slow download speeds, help?

Post by Shuamann1 »

Also I am on version 4.2.5.
DarthContinent

Re: Incredilbly slow download speeds, help?

Post by DarthContinent »

You could check out torrent tracker lists like this. You'd copy the list into the clipboard, open the Tracker tab on a torrent that's downloading, then click Add Tracker and paste the list in. Unfortunately I think you'd have to do this for each problematic torrent; I don't know that qBittorrent lets you automatically add trackers beyond which ones are defined in the torrent / magnet itself. This can speed up transfers or in cases where a download is stalled out for lack of trackers it can sometimes help.

You could also try configuring Quality of Service (QoS) on your router, which lets you define specific devices by IP address or specific types of applications and traffic to prioritize traffic. For example I work from home and use Skype all the time; I have it so my LAN prioritizes Skype traffic above all else during work hours. :)
Last edited by DarthContinent on Wed May 06, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.