Connection issue with VPN

Windows specific questions, problems.
noob00224

Connection issue with VPN

Post by noob00224 »

Hello,

I'm new here and not sure if there have been similar issues.

I have a few questions for QBittorrent and in general.

Can QBittorrent display the transfer speed in the Taskbar when minimized. Not the small icons.
Does anonymous mode slow down transfer speeds? With a VPN.
There was a YT video that suggested to add some trackers to all torrents, like udp://open.stealth.si:80/announce
Should I add all the others?

Second issue is a connection issue with NordVPN.
Windows10 X64 18363.900.
Integrated network card>HG8245H.

QBT 4.2.5 x64.
Tried all the settings I understand.
Enabled protocol TCP and UPD.
Random port.
UPnP/NAT-PMP enabled/disabled.
Global connections 200.
Per torrent 50.
Global upload slots 20.
Per torrent 4.
Speed tried unlimited, 20MB/s.
Checked Apply rate limit to UPT.
Checked Apply rate limit to peers on LAN.
Checked Enable DHT and PeX.

No proxy, block list, Peer block.

Problem started about a month ago, worked fine for about 1 year before. With Deluge. Tried uTorrent, Bittorrent, and finally QBittorrent. QBT seems to have higher speeds so I'll stay with it.

Issue is connection drops after 3-12 minutes. Can't access any website. There was a thread that gave some recommendations and said that it can happen and http/s sites can't be accessed, but other software can connect.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4228&sid=d229b2c4b ... a1f63afbec

Don't have discord or steam, what else can I use?

Tried various settings, and other clients.
Multiple torrents, many servers P2P servers in a few countries.
Connection is 300Mbps, can do that with connections that are close geographically.
Sometimes it drops at ~8MB/s, or higher.
Without the VPN it's stable with torrents at ~25MB/s for about 30 minutes. Could try to let it more, but I don't think it will drop.
Spoke to Nord support, they told me to
Do a traceroute which was fine when the torrent was running, timed out when the internet stopped working.
Uninstall all all AV, Firewall, Anti Malware. Also disabled Windows Firewall. No change.
Tried some servers they recommended.
Ran some CMD commands.
Reset the network card.

With TCP (VPN protocol) does not disconnect. With UDP it does. With Lynx it also works fine, but I'm not sure if it's as secure privacy wise. Tested with IP checker and gave the VPN IP. But not completely sure.

On speed tests it can get from 190 to 270 with Nord P2P servers download and 150 Mbps upload.

With StarTrinity Continuous speed test it runs fine up to 35Mbps, although I think it should be MB/s? If I tell STC to test with 240 Mbps it does not go over 35.
Anyway it runs for 30 minutes at least with 30Mbps (MB/s?).

When internet drops, the NordVPN app says the connection is still live.
Sometimes if the torrent client is closed the internet works again, sometimes it doesn't.

TCP is ~5% transfer speed of UDP/Lynx.

Before this issue manifested itself, can't remember exactly, I enabled WLAN on the router.
Disabled it and tried the tests again, but the same issue appears, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. Password protected and only 1 device is connected that I don't use that much.

Nord support said they're doing some upgrades and this could be the issue, but no clear answer. They also said UDP is not recommended, even though it says so in the NordVPN app and some guides.

Anything else I should try?
Is Lynx secure?

I've attached some screenshots. The ones labeled UDP, TCP and Lynx were done on the same P2P server.
The other two Activity screenshots are from other instances.
Attachments
UDP.JPG
UDP.JPG (87.85 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
TCP.JPG
TCP.JPG (106.36 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Lynx.JPG
Lynx.JPG (105.61 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Activity.JPG
Activity.JPG (59.44 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Activity 2.JPG
Activity 2.JPG (62.03 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
noob00224

Re: Connection issue with VPN

Post by noob00224 »

Anyone have any ideas, if not to the second issue, to the questions relating qbitorrent?
Drybonz

Post by Drybonz »

From what I understand from my VPN, the VPN will only allow so many connections overall. I was not able to find a way to fix this other than deleting some torrents from my torrent list, which, obviously, is not ideal. If there is a better way to fix this, I would also like to know.
noob00224

Post by noob00224 »

What I don't understand is that it was working fine until recently, only about a month and half ago started to cause issues.

As I've noted in the previous post, I've reduced the total number/per torrent number of connections, trying to ease the strain.

But why is it working fine on Lynx? Probably a different architecture.
LongKnight

Post by LongKnight »

Thank you. I am new to vpns and was having the same isue. My torrents would randomly stop and I didn't know why. I had auto reconnect turned on, so I was not seing the disconnect/reconnection. At least I know understand what's wrong if not how to fix it. Thanks again.

LongKnight
test17

Post by test17 »

I have the same issue with QBittorrent and NordVPN.