I lost all my tags and not sure why

Windows specific questions, problems.
shinki

I lost all my tags and not sure why

Post by shinki »

Hi everyone,I lost my tags to all the torrents I've downloaded over time.
At some point while running Qbittorrent my C drive went to 0 space because of some things I messed up.it seems something happened and torrent client lost some settings.It seems that all my torrent files are all still there but am not 100% sure some were not lost.
How can I make sure that next time qbittorrent will not loose any settings and not loose any settings for the torrents themselves(path of torrent,download progress,files in a torrent that I checked off not to download etc) ?
It would be great if Qbittorrent would by default save all it's own settings and all .torrent files and all torrent files settings on at least another location on another drive in case something happens with the current drive Qbittorrent is currently installed.
FranciscoPombal

Re: I lost all my tags and not sure why

Post by FranciscoPombal »

To prevent issues, don't run out of space next time. If you run out of space, qBittorrent can't properly save the data.
shinki

Post by shinki »

FranciscoPombal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:16 pm To prevent issues, don't run out of space next time. If you run out of space, qBittorrent can't properly save the data.
Will try not to run out of space.Now can you answer please my actual questions?That's not really a proper solution.
FranciscoPombal

Post by FranciscoPombal »

shinki wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:33 pm
Will try not to run out of space.Now can you answer please my actual questions?That's not really a proper solution.
Here was the question in your post:

> How can I make sure that next time qbittorrent will not loose any settings and not loose any settings for the torrents themselves(path of torrent,download progress,files in a torrent that I checked off not to download etc) ?

To which the answer, is in fact, "don't run out of space". Running out of space in the system partition can cause all sorts of issues, not just in qBittorrent, but also in a lot of other applications, both on Windows an Linux.

Usually no actual payload data is lost, just the fastresumes - meaning you can re-add the torrent and it will continue where it left off. You also have to re-add the tags.

That being said, you can mitigate a potential slip up by backing up the settings directories regularly yourself. I don't think baking this directly into qBittorrent is the right solution though. There are better general mitigations as well, like implementing a setting to make qBittorrent stop downloading once total free space goes below a certain threshold. I believe this has already been suggested in the issue tracker. However, even this wouldn't prevent the case where you run out of space due to _another_ program.

In truth, qBittorrent's .fastresume saving mechanism could probably be made more resilient against running out of disk space, but for now, the only defense you have is properly covering all the other bases - but to be fair, it is not hard to prevent your system from running out of space either.