Share Ratio

Windows specific questions, problems.
surveyance

Share Ratio

Post by surveyance »

Can someone explain the importance of the Share Ratio and how it could affect me?
I was sharing for a few days or whatever after downloading, but learned of the ratio and it appears I have been unknowingly stingy.
I've started reactivating links that are below 1.00 and taking them up to at least 1.00
Outside of sharing, is there anything that is affected by the Share Ratio?
Also: what is a good Share Ratio for any given torrent?
I have some as high as 12.00 while others are below 1.00
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Share Ratio

Post by Peter »

It doesn't matter.
Share ratio only matters on private trackers. But even there, the website tells you your current ratio, the ratio you achieved on torrents, and whatnot. The site rules also tell you what ratio you need to maintain in order to remain a member of the site/community.

So generally speaking, the share ratio is just information that you don't have to watch.
Zoloft

Re: Share Ratio

Post by Zoloft »

Torrents work because people are giving back what the have taken. If people just grabbed what they wanted, and then stop the torrent, that torrent would die, and not be available for the next person.

Your ratio is what percentage you have given back to others of what you have taken. For example, if you download something, and have a .5 ratio on that file, that means you've shared back half of what you've taken.

Ideally, you should strive to always seed to 1.0 meaning you have given back the same amount that was taken. In an ideal world, this would assure that no torrent ever has to die. Private trackers may have more specific rules about what ratio you must maintain, either overall (across all torrents you download) and/or on each individual torrent you grab. Check the specific trackers you participate on for their rules.

If you deal exclusively with public trackers, then 1.0 should be your minimum goal.