Srt subtitles files does not download

Windows specific questions, problems.
tolkien616

Srt subtitles files does not download

Post by tolkien616 »

Hi everybody, when I download a movie with subtitle is a srt. file says 149 Mb with qtorrent , when download it cames with the video file avi. MP4 O MKV with no problem but the srt file is always with 1Mb that is has not been downloaded, please can anybody tell me how to solve this . thanks in advance
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Srt subtitles files does not download

Post by Peter »

Interesting. What do you see if you select such a torrent, then click Files on the bottom?
What does it say at the .srt file?
Bozzer

Post by Bozzer »

Peter my win 10 computer downloads the srt.file but my computer can not open srt. File ,windows store opens asks which app to use but I’ve not a clue ,appologies ,if question has been asked before ,just navigating site ,as a noob ,Dave
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Bozzer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 pm Peter my win 10 computer downloads the srt.file but my computer can not open srt. File ,windows store opens asks which app to use but I’ve not a clue ,appologies ,if question has been asked before ,just navigating site ,as a noob ,Dave
Oh. Short answer: You need a video player that can open subtitles.
VLC is a great player, free. [ https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html ]
Some people prefer PotPlayer. Also free. [ https://potplayer.daum.net ]

Long answer:
That's something else. .srt itself is just text. ( see: https://www.speechpad.com/captions/srt )
A text file. It has like a timestamp (when the text should appear) and the text itself.
Windows can't open it, but you don't need to open it. All you need is a video player, see above.
Bozzer

Post by Bozzer »

Thanks for reply Peter much appreciated ,I do use VLC ,some AVI files play on Sony Bravia smart tv on usb sticks ,some don’t but I’ve learnt to convert into usable ,playable files on my Sony tv ,is there a way of downloading only specific format files ,totally new to qBittorrent ,so it’s a learning curve ,Dave thanks ,Peter
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.
So you want to play movies on your TV. With subtitles.
Usually this is called "burning in the subtitles".

There are 3 basic ways to do subtitles:
- just place the .srt and the video player will handle loading, displaying, etc (like VLC does)

- using a "container". MP4 and MKV are containers. think of them like a suitcase. you toss in the video file, the subtitles, the audio tracks and boom. it's one MP4 file for example, with a few audio tracks and subtitles and whatnot. again, the video player has to be able to handle all this.

- "burning in". you create a new raw video file that has the subtitles burnt in. the frames have the text on them, there is no way of removing those. but, this is exactly what you need when you encounter a "dumb player", such as this TV I suppose.

I could give you a few tools for the job, but first, please, tell me your TV's model number. It's on the back somewhere. So I could look up a manual and check what it actually supports. Then we have something to go from.
Bozzer

Post by Bozzer »

Hello Peter sorry for late reply been preoccupied what with one thing and another ,my TV is Sony Bravia KD-49X8309C ,software version ,PGG5.435.0184EUB ,I’ve just found out that I can record to a usb hdd drive ,anyhow hope this helps ,no rush most grateful for your time and effort ,would be good if I could search for specific files ,but that’s another time ,thanks Peter ,Dave 73