Solved: How to FIX location of completed torrents

Windows specific questions, problems.
vUdoo20

Solved: How to FIX location of completed torrents

Post by vUdoo20 »

I had a problem where, after moving to a new NAS, my directory location changed and I couldn't get QBT to find the new location and verify most of my Completed torrents. The transfers were set to Paused with a Status of Error: The network name cannot be found. I changed the Default Save Path in Options, but that didn't work. I also tried using the Set Location option for each torrent, but that didn't work either. I searched the forum as well as google, but couldn't find a solution. After some trial and error I discovered that the following steps solved the problem.

1 - Set Default Save Path to updated location for completed torrents.
2a - Locate the .torrent files for the transfer(s) that has/have the problem. If you have setup directories for saving copies of your .torrent files, there's a very good chance you can find it there.
2b - If you no longer have a copy of the .torrent file locally, locate one online and download it.
3 - Delete the Transfer record from the QBT app. I would recommend making sure the Also delete the files on the hard disk option is NOT checked. It may not matter since QBT does not seem to know where the files are, but seems like a good precaution.
4 - Re-add the .torrent file to QBT. (i.e. drop them into the directory where QBT is automatically monitoring for new torrent files.)
5 - Monentarily, QBT began the re-check process for the Transfer.
6 - Once complete, the Transfer was no longer highlighted in red and went back to Downloading or Seeding status.

I had over 200 transfers that needed to be fixed and decided to go with with 5 or 10 at a time rather than trying to dump all 200+ torrent files in one shot. However, I did not wait until each batch was completed before adding more. They just queued up and QBT scanned them one by one until all were complete.

Just wanted to document this in case someone else runs into a similar problem in the future.
Himynameis

Re: Solved: How to FIX location of completed torrents

Post by Himynameis »

Great post! I had to uninstall qBittorrent and all of its data along with it to do a clean reinstall and so I know I the pain. What I did is go to the Options, then to Downloads. Under Saving Management I changed the options to: Default Torrent Management Mode: Manual, When Torrent Category Changed: Relocate Torrent, When Default Save Path Changed: Relocate Affected Torrents, When Category Save Path Changed: Relocate Affected Torrents. Whether you're needing to do a clean install or just moved the save path and now qBitt can't find any of your files, if you change the options to the mentioned, you shouldn't have too many problems. A little off topic but if you you need to change the default save path after filling up an external storage drive: when the box that pops up when you add a new torrent, go to Save At on the left, choose the new file path, check the box next to Remember Last Used Save Path. Your new torrents will go to the new file destination and the torrents in the old file destination will be unharmed and continue to seed for life.