Game starts lagging even with half my upload speed

Windows specific questions, problems.
ordej

Game starts lagging even with half my upload speed

Post by ordej »

Hi
My internet speed is 90-100 mbps upload.
That means my max upload speed is around 10 MB/s.
My upload speed in qBitorrent is set at max 9 mb/s.
In browsing this doesn't make an issue.
However, if I play a game (Rocket League) my game starts lagging.
When game starts to lag, I put the max upload speed at 4 mb/s and the game still lags even if I wait for a minute to pass.
While playing, when qBitorrent is off i barely see anything in Task manager -> network for the game or Steam.
That means it doesn't really use much... or Task manager is incorrect.

Question is, why is qbitorrent stressing my network so much that I cannot game properly even when I cut the max upoad speed to half?
What other setting in qBitorrent can be tweaked/changed?
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Game starts lagging even with half my upload speed

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

Bandwidth and number of connections can both impact your connection. It mainly depends about the capabilities of the network material behind.
Try to reduce the total number of connections in conjunction with the upload speed to see if it has an impact.

Rebooting your ISP router or device acting as it after the change may be a good move too prior checking the effect
ordej

Post by ordej »

unseen19 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:47 am Hi,

Bandwidth and number of connections can both impact your connection. It mainly depends about the capabilities of the network material behind.
Try to reduce the total number of connections in conjunction with the upload speed to see if it has an impact.

Rebooting your ISP router or device acting as it after the change may be a good move too prior checking the effect
Thank you for your reply.
I remember changing those exact settings you are talking about long time ago. I'll try to reduce them and see if it's better.
What would you recommend for the settings?
My internet is 90/90 mbit and I don't wanna turn off qBitorrent while gaming and still have decent upload speed.

I have set them like this now

Before, each of them was double.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

The first is for the whole QBT session, the three after after are per torrent level. For the suggested test I would only change the "Global maximum number of connections". The value depends of your own setup and network gears. Let's start with something low to first check the impact, like 100. Restart your modem/router to get rid of past issues. You can gradually raise the value per 25 to reach your limit.

Some other leads:
- is the computer running QBT the only affected by the slowness? such may indicate if the computer or the router is faulty
- are you wired connected? If not can you try? This can make a big difference and is preferred anyway (as a gamer I bet you're wired)

I would also reduce the upload speed to something lower, like 8MB/s. In the preferences you can include the BitTorrent protocol overhead in the limits you set. If not selected, it means your value of 9MB/s may be broken by the protocol traffic, certainly on torrents having small pieces size defined (more overhead). By reducing the value to 8 we avoid interference.
ordej

Post by ordej »

unseen19 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:40 am The first is for the whole QBT session, the three after after are per torrent level. For the suggested test I would only change the "Global maximum number of connections". The value depends of your own setup and network gears. Let's start with something low to first check the impact, like 100. Restart your modem/router to get rid of past issues. You can gradually raise the value per 25 to reach your limit.

Some other leads:
- is the computer running QBT the only affected by the slowness? such may indicate if the computer or the router is faulty
- are you wired connected? If not can you try? This can make a big difference and is preferred anyway (as a gamer I bet you're wired)

I would also reduce the upload speed to something lower, like 8MB/s. In the preferences you can include the BitTorrent protocol overhead in the limits you set. If not selected, it means your value of 9MB/s may be broken by the protocol traffic, certainly on torrents having small pieces size defined (more overhead). By reducing the value to 8 we avoid interference.
With 500 connections the game was constantly saying "latency issues".
When I cut down to 250, the game was saying periodically "latency issues".
Wired connection. I have restarted the router, the router is not faulty.
I have now set it to 125 and I think it will be fine but haven't tested properly yet.

I'm not really sure I understood this
In the preferences you can include the BitTorrent protocol overhead in the limits you set. If not selected, it means your value of 9MB/s may be broken by the protocol traffic, certainly on torrents having small pieces size defined (more overhead). By reducing the value to 8 we avoid interference.
Can you tell me exactly where and what to change?
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

I have now set it to 125 and I think it will be fine but haven't tested properly yet.
So it has well an impact, correct lead to investigate. However this is pretty low, any router should be able to manage 200 connections, even if you get the modem/router from your ISP (basic one so). Understand me well it will work even at 100 connection limit but that's under years of router I've working with.
Set your upload limit to 08MB/s. As you stated having 10MB/s upload a limit to 09 may not be enough. You have the upload made to peers but also the traffic coming from the protocol. Depending of the setting of QBT the limit of 09 you set may means more (9.X MB/s), just because QBT may be instructed to set the limit to peers or to peers+overhead. if your upload speed is saturated you will have latencies impact too (not exactly that but it's the effect).
--> for the amount of connections limit test use an upload limit of 08 MB/s to avoid dual variables.
ordej

Post by ordej »

unseen19 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 am
So it has well an impact, correct lead to investigate. However this is pretty low, any router should be able to manage 200 connections, even if you get the modem/router from your ISP (basic one so). Understand me well it will work even at 100 connection limit but that's under years of router I've working with.
Set your upload limit to 08MB/s. As you stated having 10MB/s upload a limit to 09 may not be enough. You have the upload made to peers but also the traffic coming from the protocol. Depending of the setting of QBT the limit of 09 you set may means more (9.X MB/s), just because QBT may be instructed to set the limit to peers or to peers+overhead. if your upload speed is saturated you will have latencies impact too (not exactly that but it's the effect).
--> for the amount of connections limit test use an upload limit of 08 MB/s to avoid dual variables.
Okay, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.