Busted by ISP

Windows specific questions, problems.
somnomania

Busted by ISP

Post by somnomania »

So I had an email today from Spectrum, my ISP, about the fact that someone on the account recently used a torrent/P2P program to obtain a particular game. I did in fact do this, but I've done it before multiple times, and this has never happened. I've also let the repacker for the game know about this, but I figured qBit should also know. Some advice I've gotten elsewhere suggested that it's mostly letting a torrent seed that gets people notices like this, and I realize seeding is what makes torrents work, but is there a way to disable it, either in the program as a whole or on a particular torrent? The notice was basically like "don't do it again because it's Very Bad", so I'm not terribly worried, but I'd like to know for the future.
cmatt099

Re: Busted by ISP

Post by cmatt099 »

You do realize that without using some sort of VPN program you are just asking for it! You really need to look into VPN services just do a google search there are a few free ones out there but I use Express VPN which is 10$ a month. Basically it sends your internet traffic through another IP before it downloads anything so that your IP address is hidden from anyone watching from the companies that put out these games and movies. Its not your ISP that is tracking you... they are getting a message from the ones who look for copyright infringement that your IP address was seen downloading or uploading one of there files. They don't give them your info but forward the message to you that you need to stop. I have gotten many emails and know others that have too and I don't know of any of them that ever got in Legal trouble or had their service shut off. I still wouldn't risk it but I really doubt that these companies will go to all the trouble of spending money to go after a small fish like you downloading a few games.
Short answer GET A VPN!
Zoloft

Post by Zoloft »

If you are not willing to seed, don't use torrents. As cmatt said, if you are concerned about this happening in the future, use a VPN.
somnomania

Post by somnomania »

cmatt099 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:27 pm You do realize that without using some sort of VPN program you are just asking for it! You really need to look into VPN services just do a google search there are a few free ones out there but I use Express VPN which is 10$ a month. Basically it sends your internet traffic through another IP before it downloads anything so that your IP address is hidden from anyone watching from the companies that put out these games and movies. Its not your ISP that is tracking you... they are getting a message from the ones who look for copyright infringement that your IP address was seen downloading or uploading one of there files. They don't give them your info but forward the message to you that you need to stop. I have gotten many emails and know others that have too and I don't know of any of them that ever got in Legal trouble or had their service shut off. I still wouldn't risk it but I really doubt that these companies will go to all the trouble of spending money to go after a small fish like you downloading a few games.
Short answer GET A VPN!
lmao yeah, that's the advice I've been getting, I'm looking into them now. I'm quite poor, so I have to balance need with cost, but I'm looking at NordVPN, they've got a good deal right now.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

somnomania wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:45 pm So I had an email today from Spectrum, my ISP, about the fact that someone on the account recently used a torrent/P2P program to obtain a particular game
Just rent a seedserver. Just a few $ a month, you will be able to seed/maintain ratio and you are 100% protected.
I have tried Pulsedmedia seedboxes in the past - it's cheap, but works. It's one option. (qBittorrent / I are not associated with ANY VPN or seedbox provider. I literally tried it myself and I liked the service. It was acceptable/OK despite being cheap.)
somnomania

Post by somnomania »

Peter wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:56 pmJust rent a seedserver. Just a few $ a month, you will be able to seed/maintain ratio and you are 100% protected.
I have tried Pulsedmedia seedboxes in the past - it's cheap, but works. It's one option. (qBittorrent / I are not associated with ANY VPN or seedbox provider. I literally tried it myself and I liked the service. It was acceptable/OK despite being cheap.)
Interesting, I've never heard of this kind of service before! I don't torrent enough to really warrant doing something like that, but now I know about it for the future, thank you.
eightO6

Post by eightO6 »

Using a vpn to torrent on spectrum works great for downloading, never get any DMCA warnings at all, the problem is they are still somehow blocking me from seeding, anyone know how they are doing that and what I can do to get my internet back? As soon as a torrent finishes it stops finding peers to seed and just hangs their...
eightO6

Post by eightO6 »

somnomania wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 am
cmatt099 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:27 pm You do realize that without using some sort of VPN program you are just asking for it! You really need to look into VPN services just do a google search there are a few free ones out there but I use Express VPN which is 10$ a month. Basically it sends your internet traffic through another IP before it downloads anything so that your IP address is hidden from anyone watching from the companies that put out these games and movies. Its not your ISP that is tracking you... they are getting a message from the ones who look for copyright infringement that your IP address was seen downloading or uploading one of there files. They don't give them your info but forward the message to you that you need to stop. I have gotten many emails and know others that have too and I don't know of any of them that ever got in Legal trouble or had their service shut off. I still wouldn't risk it but I really doubt that these companies will go to all the trouble of spending money to go after a small fish like you downloading a few games.
Short answer GET A VPN!
lmao yeah, that's the advice I've been getting, I'm looking into them now. I'm quite poor, so I have to balance need with cost, but I'm looking at NordVPN, they've got a good deal right now.
just want to mention has anyone looked at windscribe? the plan I use is 2 bucks a month and I can just not get it when I dont want it and get the same 2 bucks unlimited whenever I do want it....
FloodTheWaves

Post by FloodTheWaves »

somnomania wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 am

@somnomania

Hey Dude,

I started using a VPN for the same reason; I've been using NordVPN for 2.5 years now (bought the 3 year plan for best value).

I could not be happier, and their service is just insanely good - friendly and really know their stuff.

I don't have any connection to them - I'm just a really happy customer especially considering I was really not sure how good/bad it was going to be once I finally paid for one.

The free ones are crap - don't bother - tried many over the years - too many issues/limitations.
Not least is the fact that so many of them do the most dodgy stuff - like stealing your bandwidth to run their service for others without telling you (I think it was Hola who did that?) and so many end up in scandals where they claim they don't log everything you do and then it turns out they do exactly that.

I'm a cheap bastard at heart so I was very reluctant to pay for a VPN - but it has been worth every penny and was way cheaper than I expect (especially with that 3 year plan).

Be warned - the one really odd thing is the bullshit claim that it's 70+% off for a short time etc.
I fell for that scam and was only told late by others that that is how it is listed permanently.

That should not put you off - it is completely out of character for the attitude and quality of their service.
I really do not understand why they persist with that crap as it just makes them look dodgy!

If you want US Netflix or other paid streaming services - NordVPN are probably one of your best bets for those service to consistently work. I haven't done that myself though (again - cheap bastard).... but I have heard so many problems with other VPNs where they all of a sudden can't get US Netflix anymore or it's a crippled, super slow service etc.

Do NOT Forget - ...

If you are going to pay for any VPN, Seedbox, anything where you want to be anonymous online and in the real world.... Make sure you go buy an anonymous VISA GIFT Debit Card from the Supermarket etc and use that to pay.

MAKE SURE YOU BUY IT WITH CASH ONLY - NOT YOUR BANK CARD ETC!

Sounds obviously - but I forgot and bought a $300 card with my own VISA then had to buy another one with Cash... idiot.
I was just tired after shopping and totally forgot.

I would seriously suggest you literally take your Credit/Visa Debit Cards etc out of your wallet when you go to buy it - just that once.
So easy to forget and you can't get a refund (usually).

Keep good records of the gift card, take photos, notes of where and what you use it for how much etc.

Make sure you get a card with enough credit to cover any exchange rates and fees etc. You can always use any left over to just buy groceries etc later.

BTW - it's also just as useful to use it to stream Free TV / Movies from other countries who have way better and more interesting stuff on offer than my local country.

Eg the British channels - BBC iPlayer, All 4 / Channel 4,
USA's PBS which has some great stuff (not just news)
And it's also useful sometimes for stuff like German DW TV and France ARTE / France 24 etc when they have videos in their website or Smart TV Apps that are listed but won't play due to being in the wrong region.

NHK Japan can be pretty interesting too.

You generally don't need the VPN for the German, French and Japanese but it can help ocassionally.

I leave my Smart TV's set permanently as UK using the Android app so it's set and forget.
That way it's always sorted - you can whitelist other apps too so you don't get your local TV streaming sites blocking you from your own local content etc.

I also find I enjoy using Youtube way more set to UK (or sometimes USA) as they have more interesting and different ads that I don't see everyday on TV and I swear they force less ads on you and shorter ones too.

Also do the same things on my Win 11 PC to a lesser extent.

I leave it set to my local country for the fastest connection but change it sometimes to cast from say BBC iPlayer to my TV if it's easier at the time.

I also find you get much better google search results in general if you set it to USA or UK.

Always make sure you get into a routine where you have your VPN AUTO set to always be on when the PC is on and ALWAYS use the KILL SWITCH.
That way the internet will cut out completely if the VPN connection dies (good to protect yourself from the ISP when Torrenting etc especially if you aren't around or don't notice).

If I'm going to turn off or change my VPN setting/servers/countries etc - I always exit qBittorent first, then check it's finally closed properly in Task Manager (the second list not the first)... then I change the VPN.

My understanding is - if you change the server/some settings while you are torrenting - you are unprotected for that short time.
For me - it's just not worth the risk even if it should be fine.

So yeah - those are my tips - I'm no expert, but that's what I've found useful to know.

Good luck
Fuga
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fuga »

^^^

Good stuff there. Sure, basic, to some, but I appreciate your time.