HELP!! All folder files LOST after trying to create and send it with torrent.

Windows specific questions, problems.
Spiroz

HELP!! All folder files LOST after trying to create and send it with torrent.

Post by Spiroz »

Hi there,

I tried to send a folder with some files of mine, to a friend via qBittorrent.
So I started to "Create a torrent" and add the folder.
As soon I tried to see if it works, all the folder (11GB) dissapeared from my pc.

Everything search tool, does not find them.
They are not in quarantine.

What should I do to restore them?
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: HELP!! All folder files LOST after trying to create and send it with torrent.

Post by unseen19 »

even if I don't see how to can happen, try to use your computer as less as possible and look with software like Recuva or similar
The torrent creation do not delete anything except if you remove it from QBT (with file deletion activated) afterward
Spiroz

Re: HELP!! All folder files LOST after trying to create and send it with torrent.

Post by Spiroz »

That is what I am doing, but should it appear every single file in recycle bin? At least the small ones..?
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

Files deleted with explorer well, but this is not necessary the case through a file deletion within an app
Let's say QBT wiped the folder, it sounds normal it won't go in the recycle bin. Otherwise in a day to day usage it will quickly be a problem
thedaveCA

Post by thedaveCA »

I encountered the same today, my first time creating a .torrent (with qBittorrent). I just dragged a single file to qBittorrent, enabled the option to Start Seeding Immediately. Saved the .torrent to the same directory as the original file.

Execution log shows:

Code: Select all

2022-08-24 14:16 - File sizes mismatch for torrent 'HIBP Consolidated and Anonymised Data'. Cannot proceed further.
2022-08-24 14:16 - 'HIBP Consolidated and Anonymised Data' added to download list.
qbittorrent shows Missing Files, which seemed odd but I thought maybe it doesn't fully load until I start it? Apparently not. When I start the torrent, the file is deleted and the log now shows:

Code: Select all

2022-08-24 14:20 - Enqueued to move "HIBP Consolidated and Anonymised Data" from "C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\put.io\pwned\" to "F:\torrents\.incomplete".
2022-08-24 14:20 - "HIBP Consolidated and Anonymised Data" is successfully moved to "F:\torrents\.incomplete".
2022-08-24 14:20 - Moving "HIBP Consolidated and Anonymised Data" to "F:\torrents\.incomplete"...
But no files in that directory were written/modified.

If I drag a directory instead of a single file everything is fine in my testing, but it sounds like it nuked a whole folder earlier in this thread. Either way, the result is the same, I lost the original file, it isn't in the original path or my incomplete directory, nor in the recycle bin on either drive.

Possible things to investigate if I dig into this further:
  • Disable use another path for incomplete.
  • Turn automatic torrent management off completely.
  • Try using the same logical drive rather than separate drives?
Happy to test further to try and narrow this down if anyone is interested.