Can I seed files that have been renamed and moved?

Windows specific questions, problems.
kiwichick888

Can I seed files that have been renamed and moved?

Post by kiwichick888 »

Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to downloading using torrents and I know this has been asked before, so I apologise if I've done the wrong thing by posting again but one thing I'm struggling to understand is if completed files can be renamed and moved (in that order) but still be seeded. I really want to seed back the files I download but I'm not keeping them in the folder they are downloaded to, they don't all get moved to the same folder, and pretty much everything gets renamed because a) the standard naming conventions are messy/inconsistent and b) some files aren't named correctly (wrong title/year/episode number). I've read a few posts online and some say it's possible by doing this, that and the other, and some say it's not possible at all. I would really appreciate some clarification on this and, if it is possible, what is the correct method (there seems to be conflicting advice regarding the method)? I'm using qBittorrent v4.40beta1 on a laptop running up-to-date Windows 10. Thanks :D
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Can I seed files that have been renamed and moved?

Post by unseen19 »

Hi and welcome

Yes this is possible. You can rename file(s), folder(s), and move torrent to another location BUT all need to be done through the QBT interface. This is valid for any Bittorrent client. If you change anything at the filesystem level (explorer) it will be in error in QBT and no longer seed.

You have the option "Rename" and "Set location" when you right click a torrent. You can
-rename the displayed torrent name in QBT
-rename the effective file (select a torrent and click on "Content" section to see/rename real file name

I proceed this way with a generic d/l location then a folder structure shared where I put all the files. The shares are accessed by media box and other computer of the house.
kiwichick888

Post by kiwichick888 »

unseen19 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:24 am Hi and welcome

Yes this is possible. You can rename file(s), folder(s), and move torrent to another location BUT all need to be done through the QBT interface. This is valid for any Bittorrent client. If you change anything at the filesystem level (explorer) it will be in error in QBT and no longer seed.

You have the option "Rename" and "Set location" when you right click a torrent. You can
-rename the displayed torrent name in QBT
-rename the effective file (select a torrent and click on "Content" section to see/rename real file name

I proceed this way with a generic d/l location then a folder structure shared where I put all the files. The shares are accessed by media box and other computer of the house.
Thanks very much unseen19, yes that way certainly works. I understand the need to do it in qBt but it's a shame there isn't another way to do it because it's very time-consuming when needing to rename a large number of files. I use a file manger that has scripting so I can rename bulk files at once. I guess that's made me used to doing it fast :D ;)
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

Is duplicating the file an option?

I see no easy way for your request but if the space is not an issue you can duplicate the downloaded folder (left untouched for seeding purpose) and work on a copy elsewhere. Sort/rename/move is then no more an issue (but storage well).
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

well you can use script + qbt API to do the rename inside then I guess. (if its exposed to API ofc)
kiwichick888

Post by kiwichick888 »

Peter wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:49 am well you can use script + qbt API to do the rename inside then I guess. (if its exposed to API ofc)
Sorry Peter, I have no idea how I never saw your comment. Can you please point me in the right direction for how I might go about this? Since I posted I have changed my renaming method from using my file explorer's scripting to using FileBot - if that makes any difference to the process I might use for renaming/moving.