New to qBittorrent - some basic questions

Windows specific questions, problems.
Scuffers

New to qBittorrent - some basic questions

Post by Scuffers »

Hi,

As said, just started to use qBittorrent, (had been using bittorrent but the adds etc made it increasingly unusable)

Got it installed and working with my proxy service (Socks5), but it’s so slow it’s almost useless?

Can somebody point me at where I should be looking for poor config or the like?

From what I can see, even if a torrent has active trackers and seeds, it just sits there doing nothing or at best, <50Kbit/s

Annoying as Bittorrent was, it never had this issue, it's as if the trackers are not working or the like?

Sorry to be a newbie here, but any help would be appreciated before I give up on it...
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to qBittorrent - some basic questions

Post by Peter »

Proxy will always murder speed/performance, it renders you passive too. You can use a VPN with port forward (ie.: Mullvad, Windscribe - but has to be set up), or a seedbox, or just nothing at all (if laws allow that).
Scuffers

Post by Scuffers »

Thanks for the reply..

I appreciate Proxy is less than ideal, but no way can I run without it or VPN etc (for obvious reasons!)

that said, did the same with Bittorrent for years and speed was not a big issue (could quite happily exceed the limits of my FTTC connexion at 80M).

I only gave up on Bittorrent because of the CPU overheads and advertising crap they bloated it out with (even when you disable webhelper etc).

Interestingly with qBittorrent, upload speeds are fine, it’s almost like it has issues with trackers, looking at individual torrents, half the trackers are 'not working'?

I can't help but think I have a setup issue somewhere in settings? - or is it me just imagining a problem?
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

Some hints as you mention multiple trackers and non responsive ones:
- change the DNS servers on the device running QBT (Cloudflare, or else)
- configure the inbound port >50000
- in preferences>advanced check the below
Always announce to all tracker in a tier
Always announce to all tiers
Scuffers

Post by Scuffers »

Appreciate the tip's, have set as suggested, will see if it changes it's performance.

Interesting, some stuff works really fast (line speed) others just sit there with little going on, even though there are multiple seeds listed.
Scuffers

Post by Scuffers »

OK, given it some time to settle down...

there seems to be an issue with trackers, or more specifically, lack of trackers that are working.

Almost every one I look at has this against it:

Message: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host

or,

Now, as I said before I am using a Socks5 proxy (have been for years), this was never an issue with bittorrent, so I'm reluctant to simply blame it now.

Suggestions please?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Maybe your socket settings are wrong?
Scuffers

Post by Scuffers »

Peter wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:51 am Maybe your socket settings are wrong?
That's what I think, but socket setting where?

been reading the FAQ on Torguards support pages, and they are implying much the same, but I don't get what SW they are referring to.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Oh I mean like, if you selected the proper SOCKS5 protocol for example, port number, that sort of thing.
Scuffers

Post by Scuffers »

Peter wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:50 am Oh I mean like, if you selected the proper SOCKS5 protocol for example, port number, that sort of thing.
Ah, OK, yes, the Socks5 tunnel is working, (TorGuard have a tool to check that - it comes back with everything including what IP is being used for the public face etc).

The issue seems to be over opening ports, they imply using setting options that I simply don't have/see?

I have asked for more info on their support forums, but no reply as yet.