qB 4.3.8 Memory Usage

Windows specific questions, problems.
DeathStalker

qB 4.3.8 Memory Usage

Post by DeathStalker »

I've noticed that with ~1700 torrents, the memory usage for qB 4.3.8 is ~3k - is this normal or is there a memory leak that hasn't been fixed?

Thanks.

--- DS
DeathStalker

Re: qB 4.3.8 Memory Usage

Post by DeathStalker »

I think this is a pretty EASY question to answer, and NO ONE can be bothered? WTF?

Too "elitist" or just don't care?

--- DS
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

Ok, so qB basically uses EVERY bit of RAM you can allocate to it (in Advanced Options) - is there a limit? I have 64gb RAM - I allocated 15gb to qB and it's used every bit of it.

Some responses would be nice.

--- DS
anaverageuser

Post by anaverageuser »

I found 4.3.8 used all my memory overnight. I can only contrast that with 4.3.6, which is very stable, been up a few days (week or so). Seeding about 450 torrents (of about 1,000 loaded), a small number downloaded.
Using just over 1GB now (1079MB) reported as the active private working set by Windows Task Manager.
No memory settings updated, but using Windows file cacahing.
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

Hmmm, I might drop back to that then.
Gripweed107

Post by Gripweed107 »

DeathStalker wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:18 pm Hmmm, I might drop back to that then.
On Sept.2 in the Re: Looking forward to feedback on 4.3.8!!!! thread you wrote. "4.36 CRASHED *constantly* on me." Hmmm, is right.
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

LOL - thanks for catching that :) Well here's hoping the next release isn't too long in coming.

--- DS
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

Well it's DEFINITELY something like a mem leak bug or something. If I let it run for more than 48hrs (sometimes less) it will REALLY start to bog down my system and mess up any audio/video, even just system sounds. Close it out, things are fine. Start it back up, things are fine - until they're not.

BTW, system has 64gb RAM - set the Disc Cache to 15360MB. Now, question is, WHERE is that Disc Cache itself located? (also DC Expiry Interval is 60s). File Pool Size is 5000, and Asynchronous I/O Threads is set to 10. (Enable OS Cache, Coalesce R&W, and Use Piece Extent Affinity are all checked).

Anything else I can do to help alleviate the issues and improve performance? (oh, and C:\ is SSD, plenty of space)

Thanks!

--- DS

-- ok, just read up on what the File Pool Size is (Default 40) - so maybe that was the issue. Set it back to 40 and will update later.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Raise the cache duration to something more reasonable like 3600 seconds (1 hour).

It won't directly help on memory usage though...
For that, you need to set qBitTorrent's memory/paging priority to below average or lower in Windows. (may need a reg edit to do that...or use Process Explorer.)

Keeping a lot of files open at once (like 100 active torrents containing 100+ files each) is a way to have high memory usage.
Reducing max connections and upload slots per torrent can reduce that slightly without stopping a lot of torrents.
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

Adjusted cache to 360s. Also lowered # of connections across the board. I DO have the PRIORITY for qB set to HIGH - but I had the same thing with uT and did not experience these system issues (yes, 2.2.1 has some sort of a mem leak issue, so it will get to the point where it just stops responding totally, but that's never affected any sort of A/V playback like qB does). I set the Pool to 500, as when I set it to 40, qB was just crashing.

--- DS
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

360s = 6 minutes. I suggested setting it to 3600 seconds (1 hour).
I also suggested LOWERING qBitTorrent's memory/paging priority to below average, so windows would not try to cache every file briefly touched by qBitTorrent.

qBitTorrent's Disk Cache is stored directly in main system ram -- and uses more ram than the amount you set it to by about 20-50%. (15 GB cache size probably uses more like 18 GB ram.)
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

sorry, meant 3600s, lol.

I do not see a setting for MEMORY/PAGING priority, I meant BASE Priority (in Task Manager). I do not see anything regarding memory/paging options in qB.

With 654gb RAM, I'm not sure I see setting the usage at 15gb that back. But like I said, never had these freezing/system sluggish issues with uT. I could uT for WEEKS and play MMORPGs at the same time with no issue. Now I have concerns about running qB and gaming at the same time.

--- DS
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I still have uTorrent crash my computer due to out-of-memory conditions. But I only have 12 GB ram...and Firefox is typically more to blame than uTorrent at those times. :P

"I do not see a setting for MEMORY/PAGING priority, I meant BASE Priority (in Task Manager). I do not see anything regarding memory/paging options in qB."

It's not an option in qBitTorrent...or easily accessed in Windows for that matter. As I previously stated:

"For that, you need to set qBitTorrent's memory/paging priority to below average or lower in Windows. (may need a reg edit to do that...or use Process Explorer.)"

Process Explorer is a separate program you'd have to download to easily do that. It's owned and managed by Microsoft themselves now, but was previously made by a security researcher.
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

ok, will check with Process Explorer.

Thanks.

--- DS
DeathStalker

Post by DeathStalker »

Well I set the Priority to Background (4) in Process Explorer. We'll see what that does. Without re-starting the program, it still messes up the A/V after running >24hrs.

So I'll re-start it in a bit and see if that makes any difference.

--- DS