qBittorrent ain't doing its job.

Windows specific questions, problems.
General Skullfunk

qBittorrent ain't doing its job.

Post by General Skullfunk »

For weeks I've been trying to figure this problem out as I'm usually computer savvy. Today was over the line, I'm so upset and angry I have no where else to turn to.

As you can see in the attachment, nothing starts. EVER. Ignore that .1% progress because I have no idea how that happened.
I tried making some "Port Range Forward" bull on my Linksys WRT54GS2 router and not even that saved me.

The settings basically ran from 6881 to 6887, under both Protocols and +10 on the IP Address. And yes I enabled it.

Please help me guys, before I do something stupid.

Windows Vista Home Premium Satellite A215.
Attachments
sample.png
ironcross

Re: qBittorrent ain't doing its job.

Post by ironcross »

No need manual port forwarding in tne router. Just be sure the option Use UPnP/NAT-PMP port forwarding from my router is enabled. Tools - Options - Connection - under Listening port, put a check mark.
Are you connect directly or you use some shield/protection like VPN or proxy?
Last edited by ironcross on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
General Skullfunk

The Use UPnP/NAT-PMP port forwarding from my router option is disabled in mine for some reason. As seen in attachment one.
Are you connect directly or you use some shield/protection like VPN or proxy?
I really don't know what you mean. I've disabled my firewall in favor of Norton and have not studied proxy knowledge.

One of my downloads finally started! Only to stop at 4.6% once more. Attachment two.
Attachments
screen1.png
sample.png
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

Port forwarding is not needed for download, only for upload.
First of all are you sure there are any seeders on that torrent of yours? Try downloading any popular torrent (like ubuntu) and see if everything goes well.
General Skullfunk

I tested the ubuntu torrent just to see if it would work.
It had SUPPOSEDLY 107 seeders but didn't do anything and just stayed stalled.
Another file gave me the same results.

I don't get this bull, it was going so well for the first torrent then it just dies at 4.6%.
EDIT: BitTorrent didn't do jack either. Something is up.
Last edited by General Skullfunk on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catwoman68

Post by catwoman68 »

Use another port range ;)

The following is from an Azureus guide, but should be applicable to all bt :)
Why is port 6881 (or whatever) blocked/blacklisted?

To avoid a decreasing Average Swarm Speed, some tracker administrators are banning these often throttled standard ports. This includes the standard port range of 6881–6999, which ports were used by the "original" Bittorrent client program a few years ago.

So what happens is, those trackers reject connections from bittorrent clients who are listening on any of the ports within those ranges, and some of those trackers may blacklist those IPs for 48 hours. So the torrents will show red health smileysImage:Ko.gif, and even if you change your listening port, you are unable to connect because of the 48 hour ban. This kind of ban will often be reported under the "Tracker Status" of a torrent in its Details screen, with the blacklisted information.

The same goes for ISPs, who recognize the port 6881 to be used mostly for bittorrent traffic, and it might be the first port to be blocked if the ISP starts to block/throttle/shape bittorrent traffic. If you mostly receive blue health smileysImage:No tracker.gif, you might suspect that to be the reason.

The best advice is to never use ports from the range 6881-6999.
General Skullfunk

Use another port range (winkyface.jpg.gif.pdf.swf)
You mean this?
I think I'm beyond funked.

I changed the listening port on qBitv3.0.4. to 49166 by the way.
Attachments
sample.png
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

If you are using DHT to find peers, that would explan your problem.
The DHT in qBittorrent 3.xx generation is broke.
A restart of qBittorrent wil make it work for a short time and then DHT will stop working again.
No announcement at all.

I hope they will fix it soon.
General Skullfunk

jeps you radical mofo. Disabling anonymous mode and activating the DNT actually fixed my problem.

Thanks man. I'll be back for more if trouble brews. Thanks forums.
loki

Post by loki »

Also, you seem to have solved it already but, if you are port forwarding from router instead of UPnP you should narrow it to single port not port range and set the same port in listening port of qb settings (and make sure you pointed it to the right local IP at router). But if you disabled anonymous mode you can enable UPnP, its probably more recommended to use rather than manually forwarding.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Whenever I tried PNP I got problems with torrent s/w. Use a single dedicated port, define it in your router, and you're good to go. Never had a problem doing it this way.
stihia

Post by stihia »

[quote="jeps"]
If you are using DHT to find peers, that would explan your problem.
The DHT in qBittorrent 3.xx generation is broke.
A restart of qBittorrent wil make it work for a short time and then DHT will stop working again.
No announcement at all.

I hope they will fix it soon.
[/quote]

DHT run flawless in 3.0.5. Nobody needs lies about things that are working.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The DHT problems were fixed in libtorrent 0.16.4 which is included with qbt 3.0.5(and onwards)
Splat

Post by Splat »

DHT working fine for me in 3.0.5.