Incessant "Error: Couldn't write to file. Access is denied" Error on last couple of builds

Windows specific questions, problems.
unboostedzc

Incessant "Error: Couldn't write to file. Access is denied" Error on last couple of builds

Post by unboostedzc »

Any time I've been trying to download any torrent over the last couple of builds, I continue getting a couldn't write to file error using qbittorrent.

I've tried changing the download folder, running qbittorrent in admin mode, nothing.

I'm not out of space on any of the drives, and haven't seemingly changed anything that I'm aware of that would restrict write access to any of the 3 drives I'm trying to use.

Is anyone else experiencing this and found a solution?
pjonez26

Re: Incessant "Error: Couldn't write to file. Access is denied" Error on last couple of builds

Post by pjonez26 »

i recently had to re-install windows 7 and since then i have been getting this error on every torrent i add

i run both win 7 and win 10, so i have installed qbittorrent to a secondary drive (H:) so it is available in both os's

up until the recent re-install qbittorrent was working perfectly

i have no trouble writing to that drive from a local non-admin account and i am able to add torrents but when i try to move a file to the download folder H:\qbittorrent\profile\qBittorrent\downloads then UAC asks for admin permission

i have tried allowing shared access to that folder but it still complains
pjonez26

Re: Incessant "Error: Couldn't write to file. Access is denied" Error on last couple of builds

Post by pjonez26 »

ah!! if i run as administrator it seems to run normally but i still don't understand why i was previously able to run as a local user and can't now

sorry, i guess it is more a windows problem than a qbittorrent problem
ultraali453

Post by ultraali453 »

You might need to change the owner of the Folder that qbittorrent is trying to access.

Right-click the Fle/Folder > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > add EVERYONE as a user and make sure to give full permissions.

You can also remove old owners of the file.

Another possibility is that the file/folder is in "Read-only mode".

Locate the File/Folder > Right-Click > Properties > General Tab > uncheck Read-only (under Attributes) > Click OK

You can also select multiple files and do the same.