3.0.6 Stalling

Windows specific questions, problems.
Groxxxy

3.0.6 Stalling

Post by Groxxxy »

Trying to download using a magnet link. This has happened to me on multiple machines with Linux and Win OS' since 2.9.7. I'm fed up. What is this stalling nonsense?

The same happens with torrent files frequently. Does qBT even want me to use it. 
loki

Re: 3.0.6 Stalling

Post by loki »

By the look of DHT "0" and the icon yellow next to it, I'm guessing you have network issues somewhere on your end... not specifically qBT fault.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Okay, so then I am also having "network issues"  :)

I think, something goes wrong, when a new torrent is added.
When I add a new torrent a lot of new connections are made and a little bit download is started (I assume until 1 piece is completed).
Then the torrent stalls and it takes 2-5 minutes before actual download is happening again.

It sounds more like qTorrent has some harddisk issues?
I am (like the user with the question) using version 3.0.5 (so no DHT issues).
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

I tried to disable "Pre-allocate disk space for all files" and the stall issue disappeared.
Hmm...
Groxxxy

Post by Groxxxy »

Why does utorrent with the same DHT nodes work and qBT doesn't?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@Groxxxy could you try disabling Pre-allocate disk space for all files and see if it fixes the problem?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Also remember that qbt actually uses the libtorrent library, so anything related to network/torrent stuff probably is a bug in libtorrent itself. You should report them anyway in qbt and the author then reports it upstream to libtorrent if he thinks that libtorrent is at fault.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Weird.. Till now all magnet links that I have added (which are alot) worked without problems. Like loki says ports that are needed has to be forwarded and the icon must turn green, which means you are reachable to others. If not this can cause you very low speed or no download at all. If you have configured uTorrent and qBittorrent with the same port I would change that. Also as far I know magnet links needs other peers to get the filesize and the files to start downloading, while with torrent file you already have the size and the files and can start right away so open ports is important. I think, if it was a libtorrent bug it would effect more people and thats not the case. Hope it gets solved soon as we are doing our best to help :).
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

You are right in you observations, clearly his port is not open for incoming connections (the yellow icon in the bottom of the picture).
So the stalling in this case is most likely due to not receiving torrent properties for other users.

I still have the stalling due to disk access.
Is it possible that qTorrent initialize the files and then afterwards making a recheck?
I know it sounds crazy, but that would explain the 2-5 minutes of stall.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yes maybe, I took a look at my settings quickly and the ''Pre-allocate disk space for all files'' is not enabled so if its enabled this may be the cause like you say jeps but not sure though. Only thing that I have changed is the ''Disk write cache'' from 16mb (default setting) to 32mb at the advanced settings but 16mb would still do the job with this ''stalled'' problem. I know that allocating disk space can cause speed drops (especially with large files) or perhaps other things like freeze but I never used this option so can't say more about it.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Port forwarding shouldn't be a problem with upnp enabled...
Groxxxy

Post by Groxxxy »

Yes I have UPNP/NAT=PMP enabled and I have disabled pre-allocate disk space. Still stalling.