Can qBittorrent resume an incompletely downloaded uTorrent download?

Windows specific questions, problems.
AmperAndSand

Can qBittorrent resume an incompletely downloaded uTorrent download?

Post by AmperAndSand »

I am planning on using qBittorent instead of uTorrent. However, I still have incompletely downloaded torrents in uTorrent. 

Can I transfer those incomplete downloads to qBittorrent and have qBittorrent resume those downloads?

The uTorrent version I use is 2.2.1. OS is Windows 7, 64-bit.
Dayman

Re: Can qBittorrent resume an incompletely downloaded uTorrent download?

Post by Dayman »

If I remember correctly uT uses .dat files to store unwated pieces and, optionally, appends .part extension to incompletely downloaded files if a specific option is enabled.

Basically, migrating torrent should be done in 3 steps:
  1. Delete any .dat files in particular torrent's download location
  2. Remove .part extension from any downloaded files
  3. Redownload .torrent file or find it on disk if you still have it and add to qBt, pointing to existing download location
Steps 1 is actually not required at all, unless the mere existence of those .dat files bothers you. Those .dat files are not interfering with qBt work in any way.
Step 2 is only needed if a specific option has been set in uT. Don't remember which one though (either preallocate space or use .part extension for incomplete files).
loki

Post by loki »

Note that this will essentially truncate files pieces that were not complete, and transferring them to qB you will also lose track of your ratio, amount seeded, time, etc. from utorrent.
AmperAndSand

Post by AmperAndSand »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I only have to do step 3 of Dayman's post as I haven't set uTorrent to add a .PART to the file extension of incomplete downloads.
AmperAndSand

'Stalled' status

Post by AmperAndSand »

I've just transferred an incomplete download to qBittorrent from uTorrent using the instructions above. qBittorrent was able to identify the correct percentage completion of the file when it was in uTorrent, however it says 'Stalled' in the status column. What does this mean? If this means I am not downloading/uploading even if there are seeders/peers, how do I fix this?

I've allowed qBittorrent access to the firewall, both Private and Public networks.  This is a private tracker torrent, and DHT is disabled. The tracker status is 'Working'.
Last edited by AmperAndSand on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4nder

Post by s4nder »

It's probably just stopped. Click the play icon on the top toolbar and it should start.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote="s4nder"]
It's probably just stopped. Click the play icon on the top toolbar and it should start.
[/quote]

If it's stopped the status wouldn't be "Stalled".
@AmperAndSand, what color is your connection icon at the bottom of the qBittorrent screen - green or yellow?
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Most likely a permission issue!
Right click the files and add yourself as a user with "Full Control".

This is one of the annoying things about qTorrent and changing Torrent program.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@OP if what jeps suggests solves the problem, please report back here. We will have to take a serious look on file permissions if this causes problems.
AmperAndSand

Post by AmperAndSand »

[quote="ironcross"]
@AmperAndSand, what color is your connection icon at the bottom of the qBittorrent screen - green or yellow?
[/quote]
It's green and hover text says ''online". Another weird thing is 'Up Speed' goes higher than zero.

I should note that:
  • I am downloading the files in a folder in the desktop.
  • Sometimes there are no seeders online (although in uTorrent, this will still show as 'Downloading').
  • The OS is Windows 7 Starter, 32-bit (downloading in a netbook, and not in the PC I described in my first post).
  • Using qBittorrent v3.0.6.
[quote="jeps"]
Most likely a permission issue!
Right click the files and add yourself as a user with "Full Control".

This is one of the annoying things about qTorrent and changing Torrent program.
[/quote] 
I'm running as an admin. I checked the properties, and it seems that I'm already added and 'full control' is already checked.
Last edited by AmperAndSand on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Post by loki »

You might need to check that qB is allowed at the private tracker in question... there's no reason it shouldn't be, other than just so few private tracker owners know about it.
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

If there are no seeders online, it's normal to show "Stalled".
AmperAndSand

Post by AmperAndSand »

[quote="ironcross"]
If there are no seeders online, it's normal to show "Stalled".
[/quote] 
I see. This may be the case then.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Case closed I guess. PM me if you want to re-open the thread.