the ONLY client that gives me constant "I/O errors"

Windows specific questions, problems.
wezzer

the ONLY client that gives me constant "I/O errors"

Post by wezzer »

i've used utorrent, tixati, bitcomet, vuze, and transmission qt (unofficial windows version)

while qbittorrent is nice these I/O errors have been around forever and the issue is still around
the error is something with the "hard drive"

is this I/O stuff going to go away anytime soon?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: the ONLY client that gives me constant "I/O errors"

Post by Nemo »

What version are you using? If older, I advice to use v3.0.6 ->qBittorrent v3.0.6. I/O error ''bug'' has been fixed since few months already so its guarranteed not clients fault. I would delete everything from the unofficial version (also the hidden folders at [user]/appdata) and then install this one which also removes the old settings but it might not remove the unofficial ones, not sure though.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

I had one of these errors with V3.0.5 but i took a look at the event log and it was because the pathname to the torrent folder was too long.
John Peterson

Post by John Peterson »

Patch

This is resolved in a recent pull request.

Problem

The torrent is paused before passing 0% because a disk operation return ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER (87).

Frequency of occurrence

Half of torrents fail on 2 TiB+ drives (in practice 3 TB+, the smallest 2 TiB+ drive manufactured).

This is on external USB drives but not through symlinks (mklink) or network paths (\\).

To determine if only the write or read cache was the culprit I alternatively disabled one of them and tested the result on three torrents, in these cases the write cache lead to the error but not the read cache. If this can be confirmed the read cache can be disabled by default if that has a benefit.

Log message

02/12/2012 20:49:27 - An I/O error occured, 'X' paused.
02/12/2012 20:49:27 - Reason: X file (E:/Other/X\Folder\file.ext) error: The parameter is incorrect

Discussion

Is it difficult to fix the option to disable the Windows disk cache? Perhaps not but it proved to be difficult enough to lead uTorrent to remove this option (after for example this discussion). It might be the case that uTorrent copied the code from libtorrent and did not have a good understanding of it and that the author of the code that understand it better will fix it in libtorrent.
Last edited by John Peterson on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

[quote="John Peterson"]
• Large torrents, such as this (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:G6YHZ5L3CDL64W7OFFKZFARFFTKU23BG) 24 GiB torrent fail on all drives.
[/quote]
Torrent or files? I cannot confirm (on Windows) this with 45 GiB torrent.