Combining multiple network interfaces

Linux specific questions, problems.
evernow

Combining multiple network interfaces

Post by evernow »

Hello there!

Currently planning on getting a gigabit connection for a local seedbox, but no VPN provider provides a gigabit connection, my plan is to have multiple Ethernet cards to then have 3-5 separate Ethernet connections to split the load through them to get advantage of the full connection, however I am not finding a lot of information on how to set this up.

Every single connection obviously has to have a VPN connection, initial plan was to somehow link one Mullvad client to one ethernet adapter and then allow qBittorrent to use all those Mullvad connections.

How do I go about setting this up? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Combining multiple network interfaces

Post by Peter »

Phew, you could run 3-5 qBittorrent clients and then bind each to one interface. Of course link saturation won't be perfect.
That said you could just a dedicated server somewhere with a gbps uplink and no traffic limit and seed that way. Much easier than messing like this IMO.
evernow

Post by evernow »

Peter wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:19 am Phew, you could run 3-5 qBittorrent clients and then bind each to one interface. Of course link saturation won't be perfect.
Wouldn't this be an issue when downloading however?

I could see myself only using one client to download (would prefer to be able to use as much as the gigabit link as possible however), But when adding a torrent to one client, how do I ensure it's added to the other ones so it's seeded after it's finished downloading?
Peter wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:19 am That said you could just a dedicated server somewhere with a gbps uplink and no traffic limit and seed that way. Much easier than messing like this IMO.
I will consider this, but I would really prefer to be able to have this setup locally if possible!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

But when adding a torrent to one client, how do I ensure it's added to the other ones so it's seeded after it's finished downloading?
You could just use a random client for each download. Like kinda manually distribute the torrents.
Then just add the downloaded torrents to every client so they recheck and start to seed.
I will consider this, but I would really prefer to be able to have this setup locally if possible!
Sure, but it's honestly not worth it. A seedbox is SO cheap and it has RAID redundancy, and its fast and... it's just not worth it to do it from home.
evernow

Post by evernow »

Peter wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:07 pm
But when adding a torrent to one client, how do I ensure it's added to the other ones so it's seeded after it's finished downloading?
You could just use a random client for each download. Like kinda manually distribute the torrents.
Then just add the downloaded torrents to every client so they recheck and start to seed.
Sure, but it's honestly not worth it. A seedbox is SO cheap and it has RAID redundancy, and its fast and... it's just not worth it to do it from home.
Sadly a seedbox isn't cheap when you're dealing with +200TB of content, much cheaper to do it from home when dealing with that kind of capacity.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Sadly a seedbox isn't cheap
200TB?! Only to SEED all that? Holy smokes...

I recommend seedbox to regular users and people who struggle with ratio because even a few TB costs barely a few dollars a month. And then you have good ratio, you can seed, you can just download what you need (save space), no need to run PC all the time, etc. It's just the best. Way better than VPN or proxy IMO.