Strange trackers in some torrents

Linux specific questions, problems.
Mac

Strange trackers in some torrents

Post by Mac »

Hello!
I have a strange problem with qBittorrent on Ubuntu 10.10 in some torrents.
These torrents are from one tracker with one Announce URL. But after a few minutes downloading I see 3-4 another trackers in tracker list in qB :shock:
I delete them, but they appears again...

Torrent file doesn't include these trackers. DHT and PEX are switched off (but as I know, tracker urls can't pass via DHT).
In uTorrent I haven't this "bug".

Is it qB's bug or feature? I want to disable it.
christophe.dumez

Re: Strange trackers in some torrents

Post by christophe.dumez »

This is a feature of qBittorrent / libtorrent. It is an extension called lt_trackers which is used to exchange trackers between peers. It is similar to PeX (Peer eXchange) but for trackers. It cannot be disabled right now.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I think, it's not safely for passkeys... and I'm not sure, that this functionality is necessary, because of two things:
1) qB is not most popular bt-client and other clients unlikely will add the same function...
2) Some trackers are closed for the world, and their admins don't want to public the addresses of their trackers, and they will ban qB. It harms tracker's and user's privacy.

The best way to optimize traffic transfer - firstly make torrent-files generation similar with uTorrent (as most popular). Because of it, hashes will be the same, and DHT will work good. It's right way, I think.

I'm waiting for option to disable it.
Thank you.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

The feature is great. It is only need to be switchable.
(I'm using patched uTorrent on my other PC too because some asshole upload torrents with disabled DHT to public sites.)
MI_HAN

Post by MI_HAN »

[quote=""shiki""]The feature is great. It is only need to be switchable.[/quote]
The feature is great, but only for open trackers... for private trackers it is very bad! The announce URL of private trackers frequently contains user passkey, and this feature exchange tracker URL also with passkey - in my tracker list appearing some URLs of one tracker with different passkeys (and perhaps the other user of QBitTorrent can view URL with my passkey in his tracker list).
I think this feature must be turned off as soon as possible - until it can differ URls with passkey and without it (or until it can be switchable for each torrent) - because with this feature any QBitTorrent user can steal passkey of another QBitTorrent user! :(

P.S.: Please forgive me for my poor English... <__>
drachp

Post by drachp »

[quote=""shiki""]The feature is great. It is only need to be switchable.
(I'm using patched uTorrent on my other PC too because some asshole upload torrents with disabled DHT to public sites.)[/quote]
+1 for disable/switchable feature.
O_W

Post by O_W »

+1 for disable
3 times changed the passkey :evil:
qbittorrent v2.7.3
O_W

Post by O_W »

translate.google
"options > advanced > exchange trackers with other peers" not disabled
repeat input "options" not disabled

qBittorrent 2.8.0
rumickon

Post by rumickon »

Option "exchange trackers with other peers" dont work, because there is a bug in file: src/preferences/advancedsettings.h

Line 112:

Code: Select all

// Tracker exchange
    pref.setTrackerEnabled(cb_enable_tracker_ext.isChecked());
Must be:

// Tracker exchange
    pref.setTrackerExchangeEnabled(cb_enable_tracker_ext.isChecked());
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote=""rumickon""]Option "exchange trackers with other peers" dont work, because there is a bug in file: src/preferences/advancedsettings.h

Line 112:

// Tracker exchange
    pref.setTrackerEnabled(cb_enable_tracker_ext.isChecked());
Must be:

// Tracker exchange
    pref.setTrackerExchangeEnabled(cb_enable_tracker_ext.isChecked());
[/quote]

All bugs must be reported here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qbittorrent/
rumickon

Post by rumickon »

[quote=""ironcross""]All bugs must be reported here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qbittorrent/[/quote]
Sorry.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qbittorrent/+bug/793791
Mac

Post by Mac »

I think, this option should be disabled by default, because newbies can lose their passkeys on private trackers.
Mac

Post by Mac »

BUGFIX: Stop sharing private trackers with other peers
How qB knows is that tracker private or public? By private flag in torrent? If so, I think, it's not right, because some trackers with ratio limits and registration has public torrents (private=0).
For example, the biggest russian tracker rutracker.org