Best way to install qBittorent on remote server ...

Linux specific questions, problems.
=ChAoS=

Best way to install qBittorent on remote server ...

Post by =ChAoS= »

Hi guys and first off thanks for a great torrent client.

I have been doing torrents for a long time on my windows desktop but i'm new to Linux and remote servers.

I have a dedicated remote server with freenx, ssh and ftp etc installed on ubuntu 10.04 64bit. I want to install qbittorrent on it and this is whats happened so far. The first time i installed it i logged in with NX to look at the minimal gnome desktop i have running and used synaptic to install it. It looked a really good client and all i wanted. But i found i had to keep it open or atleast minimized for it to continue working. The next thing i noticed was when i logged out of NX it closed. The webui no longer worked and all activity stopped. As this is a remote server its obviously not what we want.

So my question is how should i install it properly? Will installing it with this guide http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/q ... ted_script solve my problems?

If i used the method above can i still change the user password etc through the webui as i did that via NX with the program installed last time?

Also is it possible to create torrents via the webui as i couldn't see how when i messed with it briefly last time?

Thanks =ChAoS=
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [linux] Best way to install qBittorent on remote server

Post by Peter »

The automated script is for build purpose.

Do you use the latest version? i.e.: The PPA? If yes, then maybe FreeNX is the problem. If you are fine with headless/webUI, try running qBittorrent headless (I never tried it so far, but it supports that). If it's still not working, maybe you could install tightvnc, launch it to :1 with dwm or some really light window manager. I used qBittorrent with 256mb ram like this. 1gbps, one helluva connection, no problems. In all just 256mb ram. (VPS :D)
=ChAoS=

Post by =ChAoS= »

Thanks for the reply.

I used 2.3.0~rc3 last time but i see theres a 4 now. I'll give that a try.

As for vnc over freenx thats not going to happen. I tried vnc with the tight vnc client on my windows desktop before and found it slow and generally ... well ... crap compared to freenx and the NX client.

I'll try the new version and hopefully that will work or i'll keep looking incase theres a way to run it as a service of some kind on ubuntu before i try anything else. :D

Also i what about creating torrents with the webui is that possible?

Thanks =ChAoS=
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Guess you cant create torrents, but you can use mktorrent or anything like that (even transmission-cli) to create them (maybe headless also supports it).

About VNC. You know.. people not really tend to keep it on screen 0-24. Usually when I need to remove/stop/add torrents, I open it, set all up, and that's it.
Try TigerVNC-svn on the host and UltraVNC/tigerVNC on your PC. These are faster clients, but tigerVNC is not really mature. (In this aspect, Linux is quite problematic.)
=ChAoS=

Post by =ChAoS= »

Thanks for the reply.

Making torrents isn't really a problem as i have utorrent on my desktop. I found it easiest to create them there and then seed them to my remote server by adding the .torrent file in the webui for qbittorrent. After all i needed a way to upload them to the seedbox anyway and i can max out my home connection over night uploading them.

The main thing is getting it to run as a service or continually in the back ground. As im new to linux in general i'm still researching that.

This dedicated server (pentium quad-core, 4 gig of ram and 1T of storage) isn't just a seedbox. I have teamspeak3, shoutcast and lamp running on it for our new site so im in and out it with NX all the time.

I'm sure i'll find the answer.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

For services there are 2 way:
1) When you use /etc/init.d/ way. You can write new scripts there, or use existing ones (if we talk about apache for example, there is no need for a second instance).
2) Use "screen". It's an application. Google around "how to use screen" and so on. Musthave utility.
hoosfoos

Post by hoosfoos »

This doesn't address running the service in the background similar to transmission or deluge daemon, but if all you want is to not have the window open or mimimized, then there are some options in the preferences that will leave it running and keep an icon in the system tray when you click close or minimize, like the default behavior for deluge or utorrent when you close the gui window.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

You can run it headless but I'm on Windows. Tomorrow I can post some instructions.
christophe.dumez

Post by christophe.dumez »

To install qBittorrent on Ubuntu, I advise using my PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hydr0g3n/ppa
sudo apt-get update

then, to install the GUI version:
sudo apt-get install qbittorrent

Or to install the Nox version (does not require a X server, only controlled by the Web UI):
sudo apt-get install qbittorrent-nox

There is an easy way for qbittorrent not to exit when you close your terminal, it is called "screen":
sudo apt-get install screen

Then, you simply run qbittorrent in screen:
$ screen
$ qbittorrent (or $qbittorrent-nox)
... qBittorrent will now be running in screen ...
Then, you must detach from screen so that it can keep running in the brackground.
CTRL+A then d (for detach)

Once detached from screen, qbittorrent will keep running in the background, even if you log out of your server.

Here is a documentation for screen:
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935