Email Notifications

Linux specific questions, problems.
Broke

Email Notifications

Post by Broke »

I'm running qbittorrent on my home media server to download shows from RSS feeds, and I can't get Email notifications to work. I've tried both my yahoo and gmail accounts, and the notification system doesn't seem to have access to either. Does anyone know what mail systems work with qBittorrent? Using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and qBittorrent 3.1.9.
ciaobaby

Re: Email Notifications

Post by ciaobaby »

What SMTP server are you using to send mail through?
Broke

Post by Broke »

The yahoo and gmail SMTP servers.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Very useful!
Are you crossing the destination address to server i.e. gmail sends to yahoo address and vice versa???
Sending to same server destination ?
Using SSL with gmail
Correctly specifying the SMTP server DNS names?

and so on,  You have to be specific so nobody has to guess
Broke

Post by Broke »

I'm using smtp.gmail.com with SSL enabled and proper login info. Yahoo apparently only allows premium users to use the smtp server, which is odd, because that should prevent my email clients from working too, but it doesn't.

EDIT: Finally got off work so I can give you all the details.

destination: [email protected]
server: smtp.google.com
SSL checked
username and password both correct: [email protected]
Last edited by Broke on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AsaRossoff

Post by AsaRossoff »

The standard SMTP port for authenticated connections was/is 587, while I think GMail only supports port 465 (which a few other servers use too),

This may be the issue, as connection port is not a setting.

I don't use qBittorrent's email feature and haven't tested it, but just a thought.

An alternative is usually to use your ISP's SMTP server.  Most ISPs do or at least at one time did allow relaying of traffic from any address for their customers.  In fact, at one time it was a common practice for ISPs to block customers from accessing other SMTP servers, but I think those days are gone.  The downside is that your message may be marked as spam if you do this, since your ISP is not a trusted sender for a Gmail address -- only Gmail is.  SMTP has been improved over the years in several ways to fight spam, so this might not be an ideal option.....Unless you use your ISP email address as the sender, instead of Gmail, of course.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The standard SMTP port for authenticated connections was/is 587, while I think GMail only supports port 465 (which a few other servers use too),
"Authenticated" SMTP is NOT the same as SMTP over SSL or TLS (encrypted connections) , authentication for SMTP means you must provide a valid user name and password before the server will accept incoming connections to relay mail messages.

The "standard" port for SMTP over SSL/TLS is port 465. Port 587 is an alternative port used for SMTP where ISPs block port 25 using SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) at their gateway routers if the destination SMTP server is outside of the ISP network.
AsaRossoff

Post by AsaRossoff »

ciaobaby wrote:
"Authenticated" SMTP is NOT the same as SMTP over SSL or TLS (encrypted connections) , authentication for SMTP means you must provide a valid user name and password before the server will accept incoming connections to relay mail messages.

The "standard" port for SMTP over SSL/TLS is port 465. Port 587 is an alternative port used for SMTP where ISPs block port 25 using SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) at their gateway routers if the destination SMTP server is outside of the ISP network.
Hi ciao, yeah, I'm well aware that authentication and SSL or TLS are not the same thing.  That's why I referred to authentication and not SSL or secure connections.  I could find no standards document that defined port 465 use, which is why I didn't mention it.  Port 587 is discussed on the Wikipedia page for SMTP in reference to authenticated connections, but the Wikipedia page could be wrong, and I don't know if it is a standard or not.  The port has however been a convention for many years, unlike port 465.  Even old versions of Microsoft Outlook will suggest port 587 if you select SSL/TLS, as I recall (without regard to authentication, unlike the Wikipedia article's discussion), but will never automatically suggest changing to port 465.  An older TLS standards document, RFC2246, only discusses ports by saying that a server should not require a separate port depending on the security protocol used (paraphrased), and should determine the protocol automatically during handshake, remaining backwards-compatible.  A newer RFC, RFC3207, only mentions port 25 specifically.

That's all neither here nor there though:
My point was really just to bring attention to the fact the qBittorrent has no way of knowing which port to connect to (as far as I know), and that may be why the emails aren't being sent to Google's required port: port 465.

Everything else is too much information.  Sorry if I confused the matter by mentioning a port usage detail (from Wikipedia), which could very well be incorrect.

edit: P.S.
I checked IANA's official port number assignments, dated April, 2014, and port 465 is reserved for "urd (URL Rendesvous Directory for SSM)" and "igmpv3lite (IGMP over UDP for SSM)".  Not for any flavor of SMTP connection. Ref: http://www.iana.org/assignments/service ... ml?&page=9
Port 587 is reserved for "submission (Message Submission) RFC6409". Refs: http://www.iana.org/assignments/service ... l?&page=11 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6409 and is for non-relay SMTP use (in short).  In the introduction for the RFC6409, it discusses the purpose of the RFC as relating to the need for authenticatied SMTP.
Last edited by AsaRossoff on Thu May 01, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

My point was really just to bring attention to the fact the qBittorrent has no way of knowing which port to connect to (as far as I know), and that may be why the emails aren't being sent to Google's required port: port 465.
Actually if you check the
"[ ] This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" ....

The port has however been a convention for many years, unlike port 465.
Try it in an email client someday, set it to use SSL/TLS for outgoing and see what default port it sets for SMTP.

However you CAN use ANY, port that the SMTP server is set to listen on for SSL/TLS connections, 465. 587 and 25 will all accept incoming mail over SSL/TLS
SMTP by default uses TCP port 25. The protocol for mail submission is the same, but uses port 587. SMTP connections secured by SSL, known as SMTPS, default to port 465.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mai ... r_Protocol
AsaRossoff

Post by AsaRossoff »

Hi ciao,
Thanks for the info and responses.

Broke reported that something wasn't working.  All I was trying to say is, you cannot customize the port setting specifically in qBittorrent.  I don't know what port qBittorrent uses with various settings.  I really had nothing more to add, but it is an obvious point to come to mind:  Maybe qBittorrent is not connecting on port 465.  Not all servers that support SSL support connections on port 465, and for mail submission, it is the only port that Gmail does.

I don't think I could possibly add another comment to this thread that would have added benefits at this point...
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I just read the qbt source:
1. If the SSL checkbox is checked port 465 is used
2. If it isn't port 25 is used.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Broke reported that something wasn't working.

Yeah, my remarks may seem picky or pedantic, it's just that there is so much misinformation around (that people always find and repeat) I try to provide a push in the right direction on things that I do know and understand, (excludes knitting, gardening and women), I do know a few but I will never understand them :)
AsaRossoff

Post by AsaRossoff »

Thanks Sledge, that clarifies things... sounds like the connection port shouldn't be the issue in Broke's scenario, then.

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Yeah, my remarks may seem picky or pedantic, it's just that there is so much misinformation around (that people always find and repeat) I try to provide a push in the right direction on things that I do know and understand, (excludes knitting, gardening and women), I do know a few but I will never understand them :)
[/quote]
I understand where you're coming from.  ;)
AsaRossoff

Post by AsaRossoff »

[quote="Broke"]
I'm using smtp.gmail.com with SSL enabled and proper login info.[/quote]

Hi Broke, Check the setup and troubleshooting steps at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78775
For example, if you haven't already enabled SMTP and POP3 access in your Gmail settings, you need to do that before it will work.
xmdp

Post by xmdp »

To use gmail's SMTP server you will required to supply an App Password.  You can genertate one here:  https://myaccount.google.com/security