Proxy Socks5 (BTguard)

Linux specific questions, problems.
red5goahead

Proxy Socks5 (BTguard)

Post by red5goahead »

I've this issue with last Qbittorrent and a BTguard proxy.

At the first time the proxy work fine . no problem with tcp or udp/dht port, searching torrent, metadata information download and so on.

Sometimes, periodically, the BTguard seems to change the IP, I read it with on the btguardchektorrent message and the issue begin, the dht nodes count drop to 0, no metadata from magnet link can be downloaded. The solution is restart qbittorrent or a new proxy setup (even a simple apply button in connection->server proxy)

Xubuntu 14.04 Lts
Last edited by red5goahead on Fri May 02, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Proxy Socks5 (BTguard)

Post by ciaobaby »

Take it up with BTGuard, it's their system that causes the problem.
red5goahead

Post by red5goahead »

The problem seems delimited to Dht that drops to 0. no problem with other stuff.

please note that deselecting 'use different port for Dht and Bittorrent' -->apply-->rechecking-->apply , the dht restart fine as usual.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I think the problem is with libtorrent itself. I imagine libtorrent resolves the proxy domain once(upon setting it) and doesn't check afterwards if the IP of the domain stayed the same.
red5goahead

Post by red5goahead »

Ok, but when dht drop and metadata retrieve doesn't work anymore, an apply click action into the configuration is enough to solve it, even change a download global speed rate from 1000 to 1001 !
So maybe it's easy to fix bypassing it.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Each time you apply the settings(doesn't matter which) all of the other settings are reapplied. This means that the proxy settings are reapplied and that makes libtorrent to re-resolve the proxy via DNS thus getting the new IP.
red5goahead

Post by red5goahead »

Anyway , same problem with Deluge
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I just reported it upstream: https://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/is ... ail?id=613
If I reported something wrong please comment on THAT link.
MrGreg

Post by MrGreg »

Hi red5goahead,

I think I have accidentally reproduced this problem. I use a proxy server provided by Private Internet Access. I was asked by Sledge to review this topic to see if I am having this same problem. At first I did not think so but I now see that I am. I had launched qB to examine the log for messages pertaining to my proxy. I did not load any torrents. I forgot it was running for about an hour or so. When I pulled it up from the taskbar I noticed that my External IP had changed and my DHT peers had dropped to 0.

I do not think that BT Guard is changing your IP. I believe that the IP is being refreshed by libtorrent. I suspect that the connection to your proxy server has failed and libtorrent is doing another DNS request yielding a new IP address. This is the only thing that makes sense because DHT is constantly updating DHT peer connections and I had not torrents loaded. However I am far from an expert on these matters. Sledge and Arvid of libtorrent will know the reason this occurs.

I am currently trying to reproduce this again. I have been running for about 4 hours and my External IP has not changed. I am guessing that it will not unless there is a problem with the IP that is being used.

Please have a look at the attachment. A picture is worth a thousand words...
Attachments
Changing External IP.jpg
Last edited by MrGreg on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrGreg

Post by MrGreg »

OK it just happened again. I did not think it was going to occur so I terminated the test and started qB again. This time within 45 minutes the External IP changed. I caught it within 3 minutes of happening. I ran proxy checker to see if the first External IP had failed. It had not failed so my assumptions in my last post are not correct. Also this time my DHT peer count was not 0. I guess the IP changed and then DHT reloaded all of the available peers. So this is now a real mystery. Why is the External IP changing with the only activity being DHT peer updates? Could it be that the DNS TTL (Time to Live) has expired for the domain/host name? I am adding another attachment showing this one. I am going to let this run all night and into the day tomorrow to see if it changes again. Sledge please help out on this one...
Attachments
Changing External IP 2.jpg
Last edited by MrGreg on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
red5goahead

Post by red5goahead »

Ok, I'm following the thread but now I'm using a seedbox. The cost of a proxy torrent is about 5€/month, same for a seedbox with a 100 GByte disk space and a 1 GBIt connection (less than a minute to download a 1.5 GByte 1080p serie-tv episode).
There is no reason to keep using a proxy torrent. Imho, Anyway I hope libtorrent developers fix this problem soon.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I do not think that BT Guard is changing your IP. 
BTGuard DO 'rotate' their external IP for  'load sharing/shedding' purposes around their system AND libtorrent has no mechanism for "refreshing" the IP. If the external IP changes it will NEVER KNOW because the return messages from peers, trackers or DHT nodes will NEVER be received.
red5goahead

Post by red5goahead »

Please note that torguard proxy torrent allow fixed / dedicated ip, so probably with torguard there is no problem about ip change.
I ask them few days ago before my switch to the seedbox
MrGreg

Post by MrGreg »

red5goahead, glad to here you worked around your problem.

ciaobaby thanks for clarifying that BTguard is rotating their IP's. I now know I would never switch to their service. Back to what I am experiencing. As I stated in my last post I left qB running while I slept. Sure enough the External IP changed again. This time unlike the first change during this run, the DHT peers has dropped to 0. I do not think my provider is rotating IP's like BTGuard. I have confirmed that when it changes the old External IP is still functioning. Do you have any clue as to why my External IP is changing? I am going to leave it running all day and see if it changes again. However I do not think it will since it has lost it's way with DHT peers currently 0. I am attaching the latest picture...
Attachments
Changing External IP 3.jpg
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Do you have any clue as to why my External IP is changing?
It's for load sharing, BT Guard operate their proxies on a "round robin" basis, AOL do the same thing. Each request is handled by a different machine in the cluster so any one is never 'flooded' with requests.