Is it possible to change the header ? How to know which port a peer is using ?

Linux specific questions, problems.
linuxlover

Is it possible to change the header ? How to know which port a peer is using ?

Post by linuxlover »

Hi,

Q1) As you while downloading all clients display what torrent client software other peers are using.

Is there a file which I can modify so that on the other end people see my custom text in place

of  qbittorrent?

Q2) Some times I want to manually add peers but the problem is I don't know what port to enter.

How to know which port a peer is using ?

loki

Re: Is it possible to change the header ? How to know which port a peer is using ?

Post by loki »

The the first question, no... while we can't stop you from editing "a few" lines of code and compiling it yourself with a different name or code it's highly discouraged by all torrent sites that care. This is commonly known as spoofing the client name. If you get caught doing it on private trackers don't be surprised if you get banned without notice.

Second question, you'd have to guess or actually know the "person" who's IP address you apparently know (legally I hope)... and ask them what port they use.
linuxlover

Re: Is it possible to change the header ? How to know which port a peer is using ?

Post by linuxlover »

[quote="loki"]
The the first question, no... while we can't stop you from editing "a few" lines of code and compiling it yourself with a different name or code it's highly discouraged by all torrent sites that care. This is commonly known as spoofing the client name. If you get caught doing it on private trackers don't be surprised if you get banned without notice.
[/quote]

Okay then I won't try it.

[quote="loki"]
Second question, you'd have to guess or actually know the "person" who's IP address you apparently know (legally I hope)... and ask them what port they use.
[/quote]

Actually before using qBittorrent I was using Deluge and Deluge displays the port (<ip address:port) in the peer list.

My ISP offers local peering support. So I see a lot of local peers with private IP addresses on my list.

Sometimes what happens is due to network issues or what I am not sure they disappear and come back again.

In Deluge I just used to note their IPs and port number and added them manually.

Again, these are not their public IPs these are IPs of the local LAN which are given to them by our ISP.

If the above is confusing, I will add that my ISP provides Internet connection using CAT5 cable directly.

No modem is required. I use a router for security and sharing but some directly connect the RJ45

connector to their PC's NIC.

If this is by any change illegal I am ready to skip this one too.
Last edited by linuxlover on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AsaRossoff

Post by AsaRossoff »

As to (2)
You can make a "wishlist" request on the bug tracker.  Give a good description of what you want in the title and include the text "[Wishlist]" so it can be easily identified.  In the description explain the details.

You can reach the bug (and feature request/wishlist) tracker at http://bugs.qbittorrent.org

edit: in the meantime, some firewall softwares log connections and ports of incoming connections, which you could monitor.
Or, there is probably a command line to monitor connections in Linux (in Windows, the command is netstat).
Last edited by AsaRossoff on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Post by loki »

I'm curious then, when you used to add their peer addresses did it used to connect back to the peer and continue uploading/downloading, or whatever it needed? Also, what would have caused them to disappear from the list and not reappear after a certain interval... like if they had shut down their computer or closed their client it would still reconnect when they came back wouldn't it?
linuxlover

Post by linuxlover »

[quote="AsaRossoff"]
As to (2)
You can make a "wishlist" request on the bug tracker.  Give a good description of what you want in the title and include the text "[Wishlist]" so it can be easily identified.  In the description explain the details.
You can reach the bug (and feature request/wishlist) tracker at http://bugs.qbittorrent.org
edit: in the meantime, some firewall softwares log connections and ports of incoming connections, which you could monitor. Or, there is probably a command line to monitor connections in Linux (in Windows, the command is netstat).
[/quote]

Okay I will make a feature request. Netstat works in Linux too. Thanks for the idea I will try it next time I face this

issue.

[quote="loki"]
I'm curious then, when you used to add their peer addresses did it used to connect back to the peer and continue uploading/downloading, or whatever it needed? Also, what would have caused them to disappear from the list and not reappear after a certain interval... like if they had shut down their computer or closed their client it would still reconnect when they came back wouldn't it? [/quote]

I am not sure sure what causes a Peer to disappear other than deliberate closing of the session but fact is

sometimes it does happen. With the help of Local Peering I get a whooping 10MB/s download rate.

When there are a lot of  local peers I don't even pay attention to a specific peer but if

there are only 1 or 2 local peers seeding the file then  it becomes problematic. I created a thread about this here

some time back.

http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topi ... l#msg12023

This is an example of a Local Peer downloading from me. He joined when I was 90.1% complete. My upload rate

was 7~9 MB/s upto 90.1% then as expected it decreased as at that point we both were downloading at our original

line speed and sharing the pieces. This file was not peered.

[iurl=http://postimg.org/image/72k3y6l8p/]http://postimg.org/image/72k3y6l8p/ [/iurl]
Last edited by linuxlover on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Also, what would have caused them to disappear from the list and not reappear after a certain interval...
ISP provided IPs are dynamic, therefore they are only 'leased'.
The system is called DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) and depending on what the provider has set the lease time to be for their clients, any IP may change at the end of this lease time (expiry) when the client (the modem part of the 'router') requests a new lease.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I skimmed through the posts. I think the user asks for a way to see the port number of each peer.
This is already implemented in v3.1.10 as an extra column in the "peers" button at the bottom of the mainwindow.
linuxlover

Post by linuxlover »

ciaobaby wrote:
Also, what would have caused them to disappear from the list and not reappear after a certain interval...
ISP provided IPs are dynamic, therefore they are only 'leased'.
The system is called DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) and depending on what the provider has set the lease time to be for their clients, any IP may change at the end of this lease time (expiry) when the client (the modem part of the 'router') requests a new lease.
Yes majority of the ISPs do that but my ISP provides a Static IP for the WAN interface (Not the Global IP).

The global IP changes each time I reboot my router or the lease time expires. I guess this disappearing of local

peers are caused due to high latency. I am not sure. 
sledgehammer_999 wrote: I skimmed through the posts. I think the user asks for a way to see the port number of each peer.
This is already implemented in v3.1.10 as an extra column in the "peers" button at the bottom of the mainwindow.
Which PPA should I add to install v3.1.10 ?

# qBittorrent Stable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hydr0g3n/qbittorrent-stable

# or qBittorrent Unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hydr0g3n/qbittorrent-trunk

If its in the unstable is it ready for daily use ? I mean I remember a long time back I was having a problem with

qbittorrent. It used to just vanish suddenly so I am bit worried.
Last edited by linuxlover on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Yes majority of the ISPs do that but my ISP provides a Static IP for the WAN interface (Not the Global IP).

The global IP changes each time I reboot my router or the lease time expires.
What?????????

If the router WAN (Wide Area Network) [external] IP  changes when you restart the router it is NOT 'static', it IS in fact 'dynamic '.

And what exactly is a 'Global IP'???????
linuxlover

Post by linuxlover »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
What?????????
If the router WAN (Wide Area Network) [external] IP  changes when you restart the router it is NOT 'static', it IS in fact 'dynamic '.
And what exactly is a 'Global IP'???????
[/quote]

No the router WAN IP remains the same. When I say global IP I mean the IP which you will find if you visit sites for

example http://www.whatismyip.com/.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The IP that "What's My IP" displays IS the router WAN IP, the one that is connected to the Internet.

So, if you call the ISP provided IP the 'global IP' what is it that you call the WAN IP???????
linuxlover

Post by linuxlover »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
The IP that "What's My IP" displays IS the router WAN IP, the one that is connected to the Internet.

So, if you call the ISP provided IP the 'global IP' what is it that you call the WAN IP???????
[/quote]

I am not exactly sure what to call the WAN interface IP.

Let me tell you my network configuration then if possible you

can help me with the terminology.

My router's WAN port is RJ45. (If that matters)

This router can configure coonections in the following modes :

Static
DHCP
pppoe
pppoa

ISP has asked me to choose Static and he has provided me the IP, subnet mask, default gateway, dns.

Now this IP belongs to a private IP address range 172.16.xxx.xxx.

When I visit whatismyip.com I see a completely different IP. I don't see 172.16. .....
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

So you are on a 'cable provider" rather than a DSL provider.
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 IPs are  a range of V4  IPs  that are reserved for internal network topologies and are NOT routable to the public Internet. Pre CIDR (<1993) it used to be called a 'Class B' private range.

Your  IP is only static from the point of view of being static on the ISPs own network of their clients. That IP is NEVER seen beyond the scope of your ISP 'local network'.  This is actually your LAN IP.

The gateway IP they provide  is the inbound IP of your ISP's routing connection(s) to the Internet 'pipes' and the "Border Gateway Router" system that connects to the various autonomous systems (AS segments) that make up the Internet 'backbone'.