Update PPA

Linux specific questions, problems.
Beep

Update PPA

Post by Beep »

Hi! :)

I have seen in news, there is new qbittorrent versions.
My qbittorrent is still v3.2.0, so i would like to update it (Ubuntu).

I added the PPA, updated the apt-get, but cant update, it is still that version v3.2.0.

Here is the PPA site, you can see the last updated packages.
https://launchpad.net/~qbittorrent-team ... ent-stable

My question is, can you update the PPA please? Or anything method to update the qbittorrent?

I cant use the web interface in v3.2.0...

Sorry for my bad english, i hope you could understand me :)
Rainmaker

Re: Update PPA

Post by Rainmaker »

Yeah the PPA is very out of date, which is a shame. Mac releases are far behind, also. At present qBittorrent is pretty much a Windows client unless you know how to compile from source yourself (or want to run outdated software with known bugs).

On Ubuntu it's quite easy to compile qBittorrent from source, happily. There is a guide in the Wiki, but basically you just need to download the latest (v.3.2.2 atm) source, unpack it into a directory (eg /home/user/qBittorrent-compile) and then open a terminal in that directory (right click > open terminal here) and run through this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential libtorrent-rasterbar-dev libboost-dev libqt4-dev geoip-database libnotify-dev

./configure --prefix=/usr

make

sudo make install
Once it's finished building and installing you'll find qBittorrent in your menu (or searchable in the HUD in Unity DE). You can also launch it by simply running 'qBittorrent'. Compiling this way you'll not be able to find your build of qBittorrent in Synaptic or Ubuntu Software Center. For that you would need to install with the 'checkinstall' tool. I've never done that and keep my qBittorrent updated manually, but I guess it would be handy if you wanted to ever uninstall etc.

Maybe play around in a virtual machine to get a feel for it. It's really easy and worth the little time to get the latest version. If you ever got an error about libtorrent being too old you'd have to download and compile the latest version of that too (it's in the Wiki).

I would definitely look into the checkinstall tool though for the future. If I could learn how to set up the dependencies in a generated deb file I would happily release builds for Debian and Ubuntu myself. Maybe a project for this week. Mac OS X is another (more sad) story, but that's another thread.

Post back your results. Good luck!
Beep

Post by Beep »

Hey!

Thank you for your answer! :) :)
If i have time, i try do it (maybe next weekend). :)
Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker »

No problem. I see that today's new version (v.3.2.2) needs libtorrent-rasterbar 1.0.6 which you won't get in the Ubuntu repos. You'll need to download and compile a newer version of libtorrent-rasterbar before compiling qBittorrent. I'm running through it right now, so if there's any issues (changes from the Wiki) I'll let you know.

ETA: Yeah all compiles fine that way. Just go to qBittorrent's download page and grab both source tarballs (qBittorrent v3.2.2 and libtorrent-rasterbar v1.0.6). Extract them into a main folder (for example /home/user/qbittorrent-compile). You will have that main folder with two folders inside it (qbittorrent and libtorrent-rasterbar). I have used wildcards in the cd commands as I don't know what you'll call your directories, but I assume they'll start with q for qBittorrent and l for libtorrent-rasterbar. The following commands assume you'll start/open your terminal in the main parent directory (qBittorrent) which contains the two source folders. Adjust the cd commands as necessary if not.

For libtorrent-rasterbar:

cd lib*

./configure --disable-debug --prefix=/usr && make clean && make

sudo make uninstall

sudo make install-strip
Provided that all goes OK (it should), you can move back to the parent folder and enter the qBittorrent folder:

cd ..

cd q*
Then:

./configure --prefix=/usr

make

sudo make install
You should now, finally, have a working install of qBittorrent v3.2.2 without issues.
Last edited by Rainmaker on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wirelesscord

Post by wirelesscord »

Just yesterday I was thinking about making a thread about this. I could understand if it doesn't get updated immediately, but it didn't get updated after 3.2.1 and right now it is two-three releases behind. I could also understand if it was a 3rd party PPA, but apparently it is an official one.

Does it have an actual maintainer or does someone just update it when it happens to come to mind? The unstable PPA is equally old.

Building isn't a problem to me per good instructions like ones above and assuming no dependency mismatches, but it is still a lot of hassle versus up-to-date PPA.

>:(
Last edited by wirelesscord on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The PPA has been updated manually. However you'll need to install the new version manually by choosing to downgrade versions. Or alternatively uninstall qbittorrent, then run "apt-get update" and install it again. You should see only the new version.
Why? Because the new package has a version of "3.2.3blah" and the old one has "v3.2.xblah". Apparently "x" is bigger than "3".

The upside is that the PPA has also the new libtorrent 1.0.6 which gives you more features in qbt.

Why did the PPAs stop updating?

Well, launchpad has a really cool feature. It can import the code directly from our git repo (on github) and then make builds for each ubuntu version. As you can imagine this is automated and results in daily builds if there are new commits in our git repo. HOWEVER, their import backend chokes when there is a gpg signed commit in the git repo. As a result, after a gpg signed commit was merged, it couldn't sync and it stopped building new versions. At the time I didn't know that limitation nor had I seen that the commit was signed.
Now I have to upload source packages myself for EACH ubuntu version. This will be only for official releases and not daily builds.

About the unstable PPA that tracked master: I am unsure on how to proceed. I could push snapshots but I am not sure how to version them...
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

In Ubuntu, Package Manager, search on qBittorrent, highlight then under drop down menu for Package, select Force Version and the new 3.2.3 will be there. This is assuming you have the PPA in your Repository list as instructed on the PPA Page.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Good news everybody: I updated the unstable PPA too. Just wait for the new packages to be build.
Of course uploads there will be manual too. Don't expect daily snapshots.
Beep

Post by Beep »

I succesfully update the qbitorrent with PPA, so i dont need to compile anything. :)
And works fine!

Thank you everybody, who help :)
I hope the next versions will be updated too! :)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

From now on the stable-ppa will be updated with each release.
The unstable-ppa will probably be updated when I also do Windows alpha/beta/rc build of git master.
calinomo

Post by calinomo »

Followed the directions to uninstall and reinstall but still get the last 3.1 version. I am using mint precise. I only see trusty in the ppa. Will a precise version be available?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="calinomo"]
Followed the directions to uninstall and reinstall but still get the last 3.1 version. I am using mint precise. I only see trusty in the ppa. Will a precise version be available?
[/quote]

Precise isn't supported by launchpad anymore.
Edit our PPA line in your sources.list to change precise to trusty.
I don't know if it trusty's version will work without problems.
calinomo

Post by calinomo »

Thanks for the info,I tried your suggestion,but it will not install. it errors out.Think i will stick with my old version as it works great on this old comp.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

It probably errors out because of unmet dependencies. It depends on version of libs that are available on trusty but not precise.
calinomo

Post by calinomo »

You are 100% correct. That's exactly what the log said.