Help With QT Styles Please Chris

Linux specific questions, problems.
DasFox

Help With QT Styles Please Chris

Post by DasFox »

Chris I don't use KDE in Slackware 13.1 I only run OpenBox so I want to find QT styles that don't depend on KDE and can be loaded with qtconfig.

Let me tell you what a heck of a time I'm having trying to find qt styles on Kde-Look, what a pain in the butt.

Since you are the developer hopefully you know where we can get QT styles to use, Slackware only comes with the basic defaults compiled in with QT and I'd like to get more but just can't seem to find any and the only one I could find that I could compile, Bespin, didn't show up in qtconfig.

Slackware 13.1 by the way uses QT 4.6.2

THANKS
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help With QT Styles Please Chris

Post by Peter »

What the hell?

Qt Styles can't be provided. You have to install them by themselves. If you dont like this behaviour, change to different OS. That's just how it is.

If you want to install themes, look in PPAs or repos. On slackware? Beats me. slapt-get + repos?
DasFox

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""shiki""]What the hell?

Qt Styles can't be provided. You have to install them by themselves. If you dont like this behaviour, change to different OS. That's just how it is.

If you want to install themes, look in PPAs or repos. On slackware? Beats me. slapt-get + repos?[/quote]

I don't know what you mean about QT Styles can't be provided. I was asking Chris if he knows where I can 'DOWNLOAD' QT Styles. ;)

Since Chris is the developer of a QT application I was hoping he knew some stand alone QT Styles, there are some out there, just not many.

I know you can find some on Kde-Look:
http://kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=9

'Phase' is one I took out of the latest Kdeartwork, because that is where Phase is being maintained now and Phase is a stand alone QT Style that does not need KDE.

This is an older version of Phase before it was put into Kdeartwork:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Ph ... tent=11402

THANKS
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Where you can download..hmm. Try #slackware or something like that. No offense or anything, but I doubt there are more Slackware users besides you two.

Try searching the repository (slapt-get / others) for binary packages. If you can't find any, you can still make some. I use "pbuilder" on Ubuntu for this purpose. It builds the given package, creates a binary without messing up the host. Maybe you could use chroot for this purpose (I doubt Slack got a utility like this...but who knows). Try searching in this direction.
DasFox

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""shiki""]Where you can download..hmm. Try #slackware or something like that. No offense or anything, but I doubt there are more Slackware users besides you two.

Try searching the repository (slapt-get / others) for binary packages. If you can't find any, you can still make some. I use "pbuilder" on Ubuntu for this purpose. It builds the given package, creates a binary without messing up the host. Maybe you could use chroot for this purpose (I doubt Slack got a utility like this...but who knows). Try searching in this direction.[/quote]

This has nothing to do with Slackware, QT is a cross-platform framework.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_%28framework%29

I know where to look pretty much, but it's not easy to find QT Styles that don't need KDE.

Kde-Look is the biggest place to find them.

I simply asked since Chris is the developer of a QT application if he knew of QT Styles, that's all.

So far I have two installed and working, 'Bespin' and 'Phase'.

THANKS
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I dont get what you mean. Please explain it..
DasFox

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""shiki""]I dont get what you mean. Please explain it..[/quote]

shiki do you use Linux?

If you use Linux there is a program called 'qtconfig' which is in QT, maybe it's in the Windows version too, I don't know.

Here's a screenshot of qtconfig:

With QT Styles, meaning like a theme, you can use qtconfig to customize the looks of your QT applications, but most people that have KDE installed use KDE to change QT Styles and KDE Themes, not typically qtconfig.

From what I've seen most QT applications have a preference section so you can pick the theme you want to use like, CDE, Cleanlooks, Motif, Plastique, these are QT Styles/Themes. So you can either set the look in the application or use qtconfig which will fine tune it, change the colors, behaviour and overall look and feel. In a QT application all you can do is just pick one, but in qtconfig you can adjust them many ways.

So you can pick a theme look in qtconfig and just set that so all your qt applications have this look, meaning that on all your applications you just leave the theme set on default, this way qtconfig sets the system wide look, or put qtconfig on default and change the look in each application to the style/theme you want.

Here's the website for Bespin which is a stand alone QT Style or it can also work with KDE, stand alone meaning you don't need KDE installed to make it work, you just need QT installed is all. :)

http://cloudcity.sourceforge.net/download.php
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I use FreeBSD but yes it's the same. I get finally what you mean... but I didn't know they depend on KDE. What about just setting up a build env and building some slackpkg without the kde dep part?
(I'll test this out soon!)
DasFox

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""shiki""]I use FreeBSD but yes it's the same. I get finally what you mean... but I didn't know they depend on KDE. What about just setting up a build env and building some slackpkg without the kde dep part?
(I'll test this out soon!)[/quote]

From what I understand most of them depend on KDE and there aren't many QT only Styles.

Anyhow I found a simpler solution, picking in the QT apps 'GTK+' and letting it load GTK+ themes. :)

So for now GTK+ for me, LOL....

THANKS
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yes I just misunderstood what you wanted at first, sorry.

(Still no working FreeBSD... I'm just tooooo laaaazy when I have to fix a system.. even if it's just a 30 minute work.)
christophe.dumez

Post by christophe.dumez »

Hi,

Sorry, I don't know any non-default Qt style. Actually, before your post, I did not even know there were style outside of Qt (i.e. not shipped with Qt).

Not very useful, I know :P But hey, I'm a developer and I kinda suck with program cosmetics ^^
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

"But hey, I'm a developer and I kinda suck with program cosmetics ^^"

Don't worry about that. Check the "Linux.com contest" designs. They all suck. (No offense, but a developer ..like the ones who did the linux.com stuff, should NEVER grab a pen. One exception is available, a developer in the KDE team. I usually read his entries and he is doing an awesome job.)