Insight into OS Cache

Linux specific questions, problems.
EsotericWaveform

Insight into OS Cache

Post by EsotericWaveform »

Hello everybody, just want to start off by saying this is my first post on this forum.

Just recently, I have decided to make a virtual machine running linux to handle any server like application I host on my computer. I did so to mostly automate the management of such applications. Long story short, I configured everything, but I was getting very slow speeds and inconsistent performance. I made some configuration changes with the virtual machine itself and managed to get consistent performance, but I was still getting poor download speeds. I tracked the problem to being an issue with write speed (I'm using a usb 2.0 drive, formatted with ntfs, connected directly to the VM BTW). I eventually tried disabling the OS cache option, and my speeds improved dramatically. That got me wondering, what exactly does the OS cache option do? Does qBittorrent create its own cache instead of using the OS's? I find it odd that with it on I'm only getting a maximum write speed of about 5 MB/s, but with it off I get about 10 MB/s max. If anybody could provide any insight into this, I would very much appreciate it. Specifically, what does the OS cache option control?

Thanks for any help
Eso