[Ubuntu] "Torrent addition dialog" issues

Linux specific questions, problems.
fridgey

[Ubuntu] "Torrent addition dialog" issues

Post by fridgey »

Not sure if these are ubuntu-specific or if they occur in all installations, but thought I'd put it here just in case. Just a few minor issues that come up on the add torrent dialog. Nothing deal-breaking, but thought I'd put 'em out there...

1) As shown in this screenshot, the dialog itself extends way beyond the length of my screen.
This started occurring after adding a file into a location buried rather deeply in my directory structure, so the dialog itself seems to take its width from the length of the locations stored in the dropdown cache. If the max width could be limited to the screen width that'd be great.

2) When typing directly into the save path, after every character entered the cursor jumps to the end of the filename. I can't think of any reason for this, or a purpose it serves, other than making life difficult :D

3) The dropdown save path cache stores the torrent-specific folders from multi-file torrents rather than just the save location stored. Not sure how clear that was, but basically, if I choose to save something into "/music/downloads", it will then put the files into "/music/downloads/AlbumName" or whatever the folder in the torrent is called. That full path, "/music/downloads/AlbumName" is then kept in the dropdown cache, rather than just "/music/downloads", which is what you would want to select to send your next torrent to the same place. The current way, if you select that location, you then have to delete the first "AlbumName" directory from the filepath, otherwise you'll keep nesting your downloads forever. Hope this was clear, lol.
christophe.dumez

Re: [Ubuntu] "Torrent addition dialog" issues

Post by christophe.dumez »

[quote=""fridgey""]When typing directly into the save path, after every character entered the cursor jumps to the end of the filename. I can't think of any reason for this, or a purpose it serves, other than making life difficult[/quote]
Yes, this is a bug that was fixed recently (v2.4.1 will have the fix).
christophe.dumez

[quote=""fridgey""]This started occurring after adding a file into a location buried rather deeply in my directory structure, so the dialog itself seems to take its width from the length of the locations stored in the dropdown cache. If the max width could be limited to the screen width that'd be great.[/quote]
Ok, I have just committed a fix for that in SVN. If this still occurs in qBittorrent v2.4.1, please notify me.
christophe.dumez

[quote=""fridgey""]
The dropdown save path cache stores the torrent-specific folders from multi-file torrents rather than just the save location stored. Not sure how clear that was, but basically, if I choose to save something into "/music/downloads", it will then put the files into "/music/downloads/AlbumName" or whatever the folder in the torrent is called. That full path, "/music/downloads/AlbumName" is then kept in the dropdown cache, rather than just "/music/downloads", which is what you would want to select to send your next torrent to the same place. The current way, if you select that location, you then have to delete the first "AlbumName" directory from the filepath, otherwise you'll keep nesting your downloads forever. Hope this was clear, lol.[/quote]

I understand the problem, I actually spent quite some time working on this. However, I'm pretty sure that it does not keep the torrent root folder in the dropdown cache.
There used to be an issue but it was fixed in recent qBittorrent (I don't remember which release but I know v2.4.0 should be fine).

Just so you know, the torrent root folder is kept only if it already exists on the hard disk when adding the torrent (this is usually not the case unless you try to seed a torrent that you previously downloaded). I could not find a way around this (Detecting the torrent root folder is very tricky! especially because the user can rename it or even remove it).