Download File link

Linux specific questions, problems.
ksmith

Download File link

Post by ksmith »

Hi guys im new to QB.

I wanted to setup a ubuntu vps, install qb and then install a vpn software.

I;m testing this out using a local environment at this moment - virtual box. So i downloaded the ubuntu desktop v20 iso, installed that OS, installed qbtorrent, also installed VPN cli app and everything is working great...

So lets say i rent a VPS server now for example from OVH. Do this same setup etc.. how can i get a direct download link of the downloaded file? For example, lets say im downloading a movie called ABC movie. Once downloaded, how can i get a direct link so that i can download that movie file to my PC / Mobile? for example something like this : https://162.231.232.12/movies/abc.mp4..

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Last edited by ksmith on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Download File link

Post by Peter »

Phew. You wish to achieve something a bit technical.

Three things.
First - OVH: No provider is happy with torrenting. Like none. Understandably so. Your name, legal details and billing will be associated with the server. So they can hand you the invoice of who knows how many $$$ for damages and such. It might not happen. It might never happen. Or it will happen the next day. There ARE companies like PulsedMedia (just one example, we or myself are not associated with it) who lets you rent a dedicated machine for p2p. That will work great. It just won't be nearly as cheap. Understandably so.

Second - VPN: You will not reach your server if you use a VPN on it. Because your server will "move" behind a VPN, which is like a firewall. You can't reach it anymore. If your VPN provider has a static IP and port forward, it might work. Using OVH's (or anyone else's) virtual console online can bypass this limitation. With this, you can issue console commands. But that's it. See the THIRD point though. You still won't reach your files.

Third - Web files: What you want is HTTP access to your files. Keep in mind, these files ONLY work if the client (phone, PC, whatever) supports all the formats of the file. Ie.: If the video is x264, the client has to know x264. The file is just served directly to a browser or player. That's it. This can be done by using Apache or NGINX to have a web server installed. You have to look up some basic guides, set up a folder and web address for this path you want to expose and enable "directory listing". This is not really secure, nor a common practice. This ALSO requires an open port - which the VPN usually won't provide.
Usually what people do is use a Plex or Jellyfin installation to serve their files. You can install these as packages, via Docker, both work fine. But these - and HTTP - all need active ports. You can't use them through a VPN.
ksmith

Post by ksmith »

Peter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:01 pm Phew. You wish to achieve something a bit technical.

Three things.
First - OVH: No provider is happy with torrenting. Like none. Understandably so. Your name, legal details and billing will be associated with the server. So they can hand you the invoice of who knows how many $$$ for damages and such. It might not happen. It might never happen. Or it will happen the next day. There ARE companies like PulsedMedia (just one example, we or myself are not associated with it) who lets you rent a dedicated machine for p2p. That will work great. It just won't be nearly as cheap. Understandably so.

Second - VPN: You will not reach your server if you use a VPN on it. Because your server will "move" behind a VPN, which is like a firewall. You can't reach it anymore. If your VPN provider has a static IP and port forward, it might work. Using OVH's (or anyone else's) virtual console online can bypass this limitation. With this, you can issue console commands. But that's it. See the THIRD point though. You still won't reach your files.

Third - Web files: What you want is HTTP access to your files. Keep in mind, these files ONLY work if the client (phone, PC, whatever) supports all the formats of the file. Ie.: If the video is x264, the client has to know x264. The file is just served directly to a browser or player. That's it. This can be done by using Apache or NGINX to have a web server installed. You have to look up some basic guides, set up a folder and web address for this path you want to expose and enable "directory listing". This is not really secure, nor a common practice. This ALSO requires an open port - which the VPN usually won't provide.
Usually what people do is use a Plex or Jellyfin installation to serve their files. You can install these as packages, via Docker, both work fine. But these - and HTTP - all need active ports. You can't use them through a VPN.

Thanks so much Peter. I really appreciate your detailed response.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

It may be a bit overwhelming, but I recommend joining our Discord and then we can answer smaller questions in more of a real time fashion. IF you wish to pursue this. Don't feel overwhelmed though. It can be learned, just like anything else. And it's a good experience.
ksmith

Post by ksmith »

Peter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:44 pm It may be a bit overwhelming, but I recommend joining our Discord and then we can answer smaller questions in more of a real time fashion. IF you wish to pursue this. Don't feel overwhelmed though. It can be learned, just like anything else. And it's a good experience.
Hi @Peter I'm trying to join the discord channel but the claim your account email/password fields seems disabled so coudn't complete my signup process. Could you please check that?